Thread: Microsoft VPN over GPRS

Default Microsoft VPN over GPRS

Stumped at the moment. The only thing I can think of is that it's something on CWjamaica's side.
    Case:

Microsoft VPN server. Setup to accept PPTP, L2TP,etc.
    Problem: Cannot connect to VPN over GPRS.
    Error: The remote computer did not response in a timely manor.

Suspicions: Due to the fact that the GPRS connection is a subcarrier service. you are connected to a private network, with a private IP eg: [10.0.0.x], or [192.168.0.x]

I'm suspecting that the problem is that when connected, there is something going wrong thru there NAT server. maybe the header is being change so the VPN ignores these packs?

Anyone done this before?

I have a CheckPoint VPN/Firewall server, and can use secureremote to connect to the VPN over GPRS, but I'm trying get the Microsoft solution to work.

igodit Guest

Default Re:Microsoft VPN over GPRS

Have you connected to your VPN aside from using the GPRS signal?

Try connecting across the Internet either from a dial or ADSL connection, if you can successfully connect then we can help you with the GRPS part of it.

If you can't connect then you know it's your VPN configuration or the client.

igodit Guest

[quote author=Disaint link=board=26;threadid=2399;start=0#msg23008 date=1069423226]
    Suspicions: Due to the fact that the GPRS connection is a subcarrier service. you are connected to a private network, with a private IP eg: [10.0.0.x], or [192.168.0.x]
    [/quote]

This assumption would be incorrect, even if your modile device becomes apart of a private network it is still able to gateway to the Internet. Remember this is still a network that routes your device to the Internet across a GPRS signal. Just as how you are able to browse the Internet from your company network, though your computer has a private IP address.

What you can do is visit http://www.whatismyip.com to have it give you the public IP address of the gateway machine.

I have been able to administer my linux box via SSH using my iPAQ and T610 cellphone. I'm sure VPN will work once configured properly.

Question, who is you gprs provider is it digicel or cw, also are you sure your firewall will allow the connection via gprs. I've know of issues with certain versions of cisco's firewall not allowing access via digicel's gprs.

igodit Guest

Well yogi, what happen with the connection is this

mobile phone --gprs-->Tower--gprs-->Digicel---->DSL---->Internet