Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: patterson appeals for increased production from Techjamaicans

Default patterson appeals for increased production from Techjamaicans

Patterson appeals for increased production from TechJamaicans
    PM worried about widening of trade deficit

PRIME Minister P J Patterson yesterday appealed for increased local production, especially from frequent posters at a local web site, TechJamaica.Com. He warned that some members of the site's message board had a distinct affinity for consumption that was based primarily on imports, and that this trend could only lead to the exporting of jobs and a widening of the trade deficit.

Patterson's comments at the opening of a conference on small business development, was against the backdrop of declining manufacturing and agricultural output in the island, and a growth in the number of people desiring the latest versions of Microsoft Windows, Linux, Doom, Counter Strike and other expensive and ultimately unecessary software.

"As I surfed Tech Jamaica's message board recently, I was struck by the number of people talking about their new computers, PDAs, games and the like," Patterson told delegates at the conference at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston. "I want to see those TechJamaicans engaged in more productive activities such as getting factory jobs and planting crops."

The local farm sector has also been badly hit by the opening of the Jamaican markets to agricultural products, grown on large mechanised farms. Given this, some enterprising individuals have sought to move away from uncompetitive areas such as farming, and make it big on the tech scene. Many have come with grandiose ideas of Jamaican e-commerce sites that turn immense profits, only to be turned back at the starting block because the government recognizes that such thoughts are ridiculous, hence it makes no sense to even bother to facilitate this with the necessary infrastructure.

With the wave of new purchases of tech-related items, particularly by Tech Jamaicans, Patterson notes that the island's trade deficit is worsening at a rapid pace. "I want us to realise that the more computers and tech devices that we import, the greater is the scope, and the need, to intensify local production to offset our worsening trade window" Patterson said.

In closing, Patterson urged TechJamaica.Com's founder Chris Gilbert to put his site offline, with a one page notice that all its members and regular visitors should "grab their lass (colloquial for machete) and come". He said, "Log on to progress by logging off your computers now Tech Jamaicans".

======================================
    a spoof from:
    Patterson appeals for increased production

Default Re:patterson appeals for increased production from Techjamaicans

Maybe he'd approve if we borrowed some money and started up a call centre.
    ;D

OMG That is funny!! TechJamaica Offline!!!!???? LOL

well at least he was reading the forums :

its a spoof.....not real....yur being wound up....lol

still, he does have some very valid points there. what i was saying bfore....strengthn our own things first. when the world fall apart we are left standing on our own feet.

big up to our minister. 8) jamaica has never done so well in recent times....

And here I was getting angry for nothing. Good one sandor...

Oh man! This is sooo funny ;D. Bwoy sandor, I need more articles from you to keep those creative juices flowing

"Log on to progress by logging off your computers now Tech Jamaicans". LOL ;D

Very Very Very Interesting. ;D

KAcey

igodit Guest

Ropy, your were not the only one. I was here sharpening my lass... and trust mi a neva cane mi did ago chop.

;DYow by the time I read the second paragraph I was just about ready to start throwing some grenades pon some place ;D

Then I said to myself "no sah" and read the whole thing....