Thread: how do i limit network bandwidth

Default how do i limit network bandwidth

how do i adjust bandwidth for a lan shared internet connection im constanly having probs with my brothers hogging bandwidth i have a lan setup n an ethernet adsl modem not usb its not the hub version either

is their any software i can use ti limit the lan speed?

the only way i know how to do it is through a proxy software called ccproxy, but thats making things sound too complicated.

other than that.... i dont know of any free software out there

Ive been meaning to ask the same question for a while. That proxy program does it require installing software on all the PCs on the LAN? I have a friend whose 512K connection is shared between 6 pc's. He can't really install stuff on the other 5 so he is looking for some sort of solution. He runs a dsl switch and a hub I think.
    [AMD Gallardo] [Asus M2N SLI Deluxe] [AMD 5000+ X2 black edition @ 3.2GHZ] [Zalman CNPS9700 LED][ EVGA 8800GT 512MB] [Gskill 2GB x 2 DDR2800] [Seagate 320GB IDE][Seagate 1TB, 750GB, 320GB SATA II][Western Digital 1TB SATA II][XION 600W] [NEC DL DVD-RW] [Antec Nine Hundred MidATX] [19" BenQ FP93GX LCD][40" Samsung LNA500LCD HDTV 1080p][Logitech X-230 2.1]

The you guys got two options.

1. Get a routing software that works on windows.
    these all cost but if you want names I'll give them to you later.

2. And most viable option, get an old pc with 2 nic and turn it into a UNIX router. You can install my personal favourite pfSense, Its free opensource software. Don't worry! you don't need to get into the symantics of unix to use it. Its very easy to install and is configured with a web gui just like and hardware router. It has very good traffic shaper that can guarantee your bandwidth no matter what you brother does on the net. I'm one of the developers of the software and as such will be able to help you out whenever I can.

It has a wizard that will let you instantly prioritize certain traffic. I use it on my lan, when others are downloading full blast my pings times stay constant, my web pages still loads fast, and when I start to downlaod I get 60% of the bandwidth while the others share %40, They get the full 100% whenever im not using my bandwidth. Here is a shot of the shaper showing me how much traffic going though on of my queue.
    The readings update every 5 seconds or so.

Anyways if you can't find another pc just use the proxy as suggested, but it will require that you configure ever pc to use it. Or I'll tell you about the expensive widows sofware that should be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9ja
    how do i adjust bandwidth for a lan shared internet connection im constanly having probs with my brothers hogging bandwidth i have a lan setup n an ethernet adsl modem not usb its not the hub version either

is their any software i can use ti limit the lan speed?

Hey yute,
    Options are
    A Unix box-cheap
    Linux firewall-cheap
    Isa Server-expensive

Don't know of any free windows apps thou.
    Respect every man, don't tek man fi fool, share ur knowledge, be humble, patient & always be kind.
    Bcuz, what u do unto others one day will come back to you.

Yeah forgot to mention that if you want to go with the pc option, you don't need anything expensive or modern for that matter. I currently run my pfSense firewall on a PII 366Mhz with 320Mb SDRAM, initiall it had only 64Mb when I just got it and that was fine, but I had a 256 Mb stick of SDRAM lying around so I threw that in. Thats more than enough for what it does.

Leo
    what would be good is if you could show us how you configure the traffic shaper for a setup similar to yours or one which gives priority to browsing, messenger etc and very low priority to p2p.