Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal Phone Directory

yeh... ahhh... what crosswire said.... yeh but as i said before since this is just a SBA pro that wouldnt be much of an issue... but if i were to implement an app that needed some form of encryption there are many prebuilt API's of encryption algorthms out there eg, Triple DES, swordfish, etc etc... it does not make sense trying to create your own encryption methods... a great deal of research has been put into developing these algorthms, and even then some of them have been cracked. If i were you i would research on these encryption methods already implemented and choose the best one for whatever application u would work on in the future

M0st d3f1nately!

I wonder if i can delel0p th1s a little m0re and sell it. Th3s3 days people seem to by anyth1ng and 3verything.
    Do not live your life in fear, 'cuz if you do, you will never live your life.

Well Bloodlust, you could post your project for free but add to it a "donate button". The donate button would de decorated with an ad that you make, and when the user clicks it, he sees more of the ad and a donate form. You could also post it for a trial period. It depends on which calculates to be you think would be more profitable.

Oh my second ad hoc algorithm is seriously flawed so that one would have to be scrapped and restarted. Go with proven algorithms when encryption is really necessary. They provide a world of benifits as AoneKilla says.

They are not important in your project. It could be equally easy to call from the encryption API as it is to build and call your own code, but usually the person who grades like to see your own implementation when they have to examine the code logic. You could comment in a better call can be made to the encrytption API.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

0k th3n.
    Wh3r3 can 1 g3t these AP1, and which do u think is best?

This is for C
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...yptencrypt.asp

The same is in com.ms.win32.Advapi32.class for the old MS Java VM

If you could use the same Advapi32.dll in VB, then that is what I am talking about. The C example uses the same dll on Windws

Thanks, ill check it out.

Here a link that generally use a dll in VB
    http://edais.mvps.org/Tutorials/CDLL/CDLLch2.html

Here is related links
    http://edais.mvps.org/Tutorials/CDLL/

Thanks again my fren.

Urgent Update!!!

Use CryptCreateHash instead of CryptDecrypt
    It is better to take the hash code of the user's password and store that hash code. Whenever the user logs in, hash the entered password again, then check the new hash code with the code that was stored before. If the codes are the same then the user is authenticated. The advantage of this method is that the password is never stored. The password practically cannot be recovered from the hash code.
    In addition, some data does not require storage; it is simply used to validate that the user knows the data. One example is a password—you can determine whether a user knows a password without storing the password itself. You do this by hashing the data and storing only the hash, and then when the user provides the password, your code hashes the data and compares the hashes. If the two are the same, the user knows the password.

Excerpt from the book -:
    Building XML Web Services for the Microsoft .NET Platform
    Hash functions are fundamental to modern cryptography. These functions map binary strings of an arbitrary length to small binary strings of a fixed length, known as hash values. A cryptographic hash function has the property that it is computationally infeasible to find two distinct inputs that hash to the same value. Hash functions are commonly used with digital signatures and for data integrity.

The hash is used as a unique value of fixed size representing a large amount of data. Hashes of two sets of data should match if the corresponding data also matches. Small changes to the data result in large unpredictable changes in the hash.

Source - HashAlgorithm class at MSDN
    When data is encrypted, the data is actually stored in an ecrypted form. If an attacker gets a hold of the key then he could retrieve, decrypt, the stored data.

Protect the file names of "*.directory"
    Inside the data folder, an attacker can simply rename the files and gain access to another user's private information. Encrypt the file names before storing data to the files. Do not leave them as plain text!

Yes Sir!
    Talk about going extreme, but very cool ill save these webpages for later reference, especially if im gonna do some encryptioon.