Thread: Help on Linux Server

Default Help on Linux Server

What linux distribution do u recommend as the best to run a client server network? I currently have in my possession Mandrake 10, Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu. If the best one isnt among those which of the 3 mentioned wud rank better?

All of these distros will work. There is no such thing as a best distro. Each person has his favourite.

If you want to run the Linux box on a Windows network, you will need Samba www.samba.org. This software uses the same protocols that Windows uses.

Search for Samba on the forums and you should find some useful discussions. Samba as a domain controller is an advanced topic. You will need a good understanding of Linux to implement it.

This is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday and now you know why.
    What is BarterGeek.com?

thanx jamrock i thought that there was a distro that wud be ranked better than the others. that means each distro basically operates the same way then? interms of security, configuration and so forth.

thnx darkchild i'll be checking out this site now.

thanx jamrock i thought that there was a distro that wud be ranked better than the others. that means each distro basically operates the same way then? interms of security, configuration and so forth.
    Yes. The distros use the same kernel. That is, the same core. Distros vary in terms of the GUI and the tools that they provide.

For example, some people like Suse because they like the tools that are used to update applications. Others like Debian for the same reason. Many heated discussions have been held over the best distro. No consensus has ever been reached. It is really a matter of personal choice.

Do a search for distro and you will see some of these discussions.

ok then. i get what u mean. i'll check out the other distros when i get the chance to thnx.