Thread: Are you daring?

Default Are you daring?

For the daring at heart. Those who think that they need a good scream, those who think they aren't afraid of anything, or nothing can make them scream. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a must see.
    I came out of the move n was still trembling.
    beware!!!

Default Re:Are you daring?

LOL

is any different than the first one i saw it when i was about 8 and i didn't scream.

Why would I wanna go to a movie to get the $|-|17 scared outa me? ???
    I find that alotta girls love horror movies.... hmmm, is this supn like us guys and our action movies?

didnt they have part 1, 11, 111 of this movie back in the late 80s / early 90s
    see how they have this new 2003 version and acting as if the movie never existed before.

Why would I wanna go to a movie to get the $|-|17 scared outa me?
    Because finally there's something that will do that .. horrors died early 80's and were replaced by suspense and thrillers :'(

see how they have this new 2003 version and acting as if the movie never existed before.
    actually the producaers have been having to fight the battle of why do a remake... cuz the first one was not only thought good enough.. but such a controversial film that doing it again was raising eye-brows.

I came out of the move n was still trembling
    Don't feeel bad gool.... the actors were scared themselves while flming

[Taking a break]

Folks, I think the most effective horror movies are those that play upon the mind. This new TCM is a nextGen horror flick in which the scary part is not the suspense but the hack 'n slash, which is ridiculous, because we've seen it so often that it numbifies the effectiveness of a good horror movie. Meaning, it's no longer scary if you've been watching the lot of these new age horror flicks.

SHG, have you seen 'The Ring'? When it comes to horror, that movie is second only to 1978's Alien (directed by Ridley Scott, who also gave us 2000's 'Gladiator&#039. The Ring is a VERY good horror movie because 90% of the time, you do not see what is killing everybody. You don't see the bad guy (or girl in this case) until the movie's climax. All the while it's the long periods of darkness and silence that drives the audience wild. There is also very little to NO music in the scariest moments. So you don't hear an orchestra hit or musical cues everytime the evil is about to show up. You just don't know when it will appear.

When you do see the evil show its face, it's so simple and so well done, that it scares the living ghost out of you. It boasts no excessivity of special effects. No CGI. No wiremagic. No photoimposition. Just plain old darkness and black 'n white on colour. You have NO idea how effective black 'n white can be in a modern day colour picture. The effect is so deceptively simple, yet incredibly powerful.

Alien was just as effective. You only see the Alien a grand total of about 2 times throughout the whole movie. The first time is when it bursts open the guts of its host on the dinner table. You don't know exactly what it looks like until the very end of the movie when Sigourney Weaver's character blasts the creature out the air lock. But each member of the Nostromo's crew is picked off one by one, by what we mostly see as either teeth, claws, or a tail extending out of the darkness.

That movie taught kids to truly FEAR the dark. Audiences' minds were brutally raped by suspense. You literally got to FEAR every dark corner in the massive labyrithian ship, which on a life-size scale, would be the size of the entire parish of Kingston. That means the creature has thousands of places to hide, and the miniscule crew of 7 had to corner themselves into a tiny corner of the gigantic ship. I remember watching that movie when just a whipper-snapper and I had nightmares for 2 months straight. Watching it 10 years later still invoked the same kind of chills. Over 20 years later when I look back at that movie on the Special Edition Director's Cut DVD, one is forced to marvel at the sheer brilliance of what Ridley Scott accomplished in 1978. Alien redefined horror movies forever. None of its sequels (which are not as much horror as they are action movies) compares to the first outing.

Nowadays with the event of these new hack 'n slash re-runs, the genre has become stagnant and I dare say, something more of a laughing matter. I say re-runs because they all use the same tired formula - Some dude/monster/whatever with a dangerous weapon preys on teenagers and hacks them to pieces with extreme gory detail. If you've seen it once, you've seen it all. With the introduction of Wes Craven's Nightmare & Scream franchises & John Carpenter's excessive gore from the Night of the Dead franchise, horror movies are relying more and more on wanton and indiscriminate gore and excessive vulgarity to make the movie effective.

The shock horror genre (to which this new Chainsaw Massacre belongs) is slowly dying. It relies very heavily on surprising audiences with the "jump-out-atcha" technique, which Scream introduced in 1996. How much more do these people expect the "jump-out-atcha" technique to work? Well, this age of teenagers and young adults have not been introduced to the genre before, so they will think it's quite effective - hence the need to redefine the Chainsaw Massacre for today's generation. It's all about milking a different (younger) audience for more moolah on a classic franchise with a tried and true formula. You can scare kids quite easily with shock horror. People who've been with it since Nightmare On Elm Street in the early 80's however, will not be the least bit stunned.

The first TCM movie was frightening because it was practically an amateur movie. In fact, believe it or not, the movie was filmed entirely using a home camcorder. The director/cameraman then sold the tape to the studios which had it professionally edited and scored. Because the movie was so "in-your-face" and seemed very amateurish (hence adding to its "probability-of-occurrence" ratio) audiences were scared crapless. It seemed so REAL.

Furthermore, the first TCM movie was based on actual events which took place in Texas during the 1960's which involved a satanic cult which contained a powerful wing of the then KKK, not a crazed family of murderers (as is depicted in the first movie).

If you want a real scare, Gool, see the director's cut of Alien which is now open in the U.S. I promise you, if you thought Texas Chainsaw Massacre was scary, you will not want to go home late at night after seeing Alien. Believe it! Now THAT'S a brilliant horror movie.

the directors cut adds six more minutes.. mostly shots of the alien and the ship.... a little character building and miniscule story addition

i agree with you Xeno.. and "test this" and scare tactics(or something to that extent) proves that psychological horrors evoke the most fear through their experiments...

..in one such experiment they use only sound and words to scare the living daylights out of people without even saying the word monster or creature! They even got the people to get up on their desks seeking refuge.

Fact is.. things are always scariest on a personal level.. where YOU construe the monster.. because then you attribute the things YOU fear to the image...

.. so... anyone gonna see Freddie vs Jason ;D