Thread: AOL embraces Linux and Mozilla, plans to drop MS Explorer

Default AOL embraces Linux and Mozilla, plans to drop MS Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by umbro
    very interesting article. microsoft is slowly loosing the battle. i hope more companys switch to linux.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

There is another aspect to this story. While Linux is making great strides on servers, it still has a ways to go on the desktop.

Perhaps one of the world's many stalwart Linux entrepreneurs will eventually convince AOL management that an AOL-branded, consumer-priced Linux box is a good idea. Otherwise, AOL will probably stick to the current corporate operating system pattern: Linux in the server room, Windows or Mac on user desktops -- except that AOL-ized desktops will run the AOL browser and its Mozilla rendering engine instead of Microsoft Explorer.
    I still use Linux on servers and Windows on workstations. Let us see how this changes over time.

Quote Originally Posted by duster
    very interesting article. microsoft is slowly loosing the battle. i hope more companys switch to linux.
    I'm not sure if I understand that argument, They did say that AOL was switching from expensive UNIX servers to Linux. I don't think windows was in this picture.