Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UWI | UTECH | NCU :Which Is The Most Technologically Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by wonderer
    I wonder, or should I say I get the feeling that this technological debate is only between Utech and UWI?

Now for NCU. We have some of the best programmers in the region. Infact, last year they entered an international competition (Microsoft Imagine Cup), they came 4th place in the world.This year CnW sponsors them for their brilliance. Where teaching and experience is concerned, NCU has it all. They just don't leave students hanging.

Yes, we have a website which fascillitates online registering, checking grades, accounts, etc. Infact they are on time in posting of grades which i most say i'm please with what I see. That I am

Can't say about UWI and Utech but, at NCU i doubt you'll find any CRT monitors; flat panels all the way. Not bragging. That I am not

So far, from what I'm hearing about Utech and UWI; They're not all that.
    I doubt very much that NCU's overall facilities can match UWI still, but i dont know for sure - as for the degree program - programming is one aspect and the majority of individuals leaving university with a comp sci degree dont do programming.

The reason why UTECH is currently so highly rated is because the degree is well rounded. So if your talent is programming - u can take full advantage of it.

The guys at UTECH who enter these competitions from my own experience are nowhere near the best at UTECH (no disrespect - they are actually my friends some of them). they probably have a bit more free time though.

As for UWI producing better managers - uhm, i'm not even finished with UTECH and have had management positions and so have a few of my own colleagues (both current and pass students) . Companies just prefer the program at UTECH for obvious reasons. Some say UWI students are likely to be higher paid (probably in the past but not now). although it depends on what we consider good pay.
    THANK GOD

Arrow

lol I read through this thread and as expected some people missed the question fully.

I used to go to uwi so I will only speak of what I know. UWI implimented the student
    registration system when I was there and trust me it sucked at first, I would have
    been able to register faster if I filled out the paper works and joined lines, but they
    now have a cluster of servers to handle all the load .

They also have their library system online using opac and also catalogue pass papers
    online.. most of the students there dont seem to know about this one.

Thier network infrastructure is pretty good too, a fiber backboned campus area
    network with sizeable pipes to the internet.

The lecture rooms are on their way up there, some with electronic whiteboards
    and built in projectors

*cough* UWI's nuclear reactor, come on now.. ncu? utech? hello

I <3 uwi, I need to get a sys/net admin job up there.

Mine the nuclear reactor nuh blow up the place.. Its it pity I don't live too far from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair
    I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever, you need to expound on that my friend. Are you saying that UWI has more management courses or that UTECH only teaches grunt work. Even if that where the case I remember a statement maid my a certain Russian lecturer, let me paraphrase it for you "You can have degree, certificates, whatever you want that say you are a manager but you ain't going to manage jack strait outa university maybe not 5 years after that.". What matters is experience and you going to need to get that somehow, I know quite a few UWI alum who still waiting at home waiting for they management position, and to them I say good luck with that.
    Therein lies the problem. Less job spaces which makes it harder for UWI students to get a job locally

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

lol.

My take on the uwi/utech situation is that the BSc. grads come out on par.

The utech courses seem to make their students more ready for the job market.
    I equate this to telling somebody how to solve a problem.

The uwi courses prepare their students for research/post graduate work.
    I equate this to telling them how to find the root cause of a problem then
    allowing them to devise their own way to resolve said problem.

One can not assign a higher value to either paradigm of training without looking
    at the position one is trying to fill. One thing is for certain though is that no wet
    behind the ears bachelors degree graduate is prepared for a management level role.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    I used to go to uwi .................
    *cough* UWI's nuclear reactor, come on now.. ncu? utech? hello

I <3 uwi, I need to get a sys/net admin job up there.
    What's up with the cough? Tek it easy man.

Seem as though the nuclear reactor is taking a toll on you. Maybe u need to see a radiologist to check if you have .

Good luck.

I remember when I was studying for the A.I exam at uwi and just happened to have some of utech's A.I notes and i realised that we covered more topics in the A.I course compared to utech's course outline. I felt a little wierd as to y we were doing more than them even tho at utech they were going into a little more detail into the fewer topics they do.
    I also got a glimps of their course outline for the equivalent of Data Structures & Algorithms course. I realised that uwi also had to spice that one up a bit also.
    In any case i concluded that uwi do nuff more work in those courses than utech does based on the course outline content. I guess it's like that due to the fact that its a 3 yr program at uwi and it could be possible that uwi coursework load could be much more than utech, which has a 4 yr program.

Well no doubt when it comes on to technology Uwi definitely has the upper hand with there operating system. I am a utech student, without being bias. Nobody is saying that research isnt important, but when its not used in a practical way then you have a problem. Utech however has the upper advantage in this regard, both in theory and practical skills over uwi, thats why we are being hired more than uwi students, were a more job effecient, we know how to implement information realistically. I have friends that attend Uwi and the amount of essay they write over that place is ridiculous, a person can write so much and no more and still havent grasp the whole concept, and uwi has failed in developing students to use the practical skills. Thats why utech is better:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Q_Factor
    I remember when I was studying for the A.I exam at uwi and just happened to have some of utech's A.I notes and i realised that we covered more topics in the A.I course compared to utech's course outline. I felt a little wierd as to y we were doing more than them even tho at utech they were going into a little more detail into the fewer topics they do.
    I also got a glimps of their course outline for the equivalent of Data Structures & Algorithms course. I realised that uwi also had to spice that one up a bit also.
    In any case i concluded that uwi do nuff more work in those courses than utech does based on the course outline content. I guess it's like that due to the fact that its a 3 yr program at uwi and it could be possible that uwi coursework load could be much more than utech, which has a 4 yr program.
    everybody konw that uwi do more theoretical work than utech though,, uwi need that extra year for the technical / hands on work honestly its been recognized that utech students excel in information technology job fields compared to uwi students. uwi students know but can they really do.. get what i'm saying. i dont even go to utech or uwi, however from what i've seen from the students i come across i realize utech students generally better, esp with programming and so on.