View Poll Results: What's the best language to use for web development?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best language for web development

Default Re:Best language for web development

I agree with CKnight - developers have to sometimes bite their lips and program in a language that is not their favorite.

The only way around that is to start your own business or develop your own apps.

That's what I did and that's the reason why I am one of the few Delphi programmers in Jamaica....I used to think that VB was the greatest thing but hey! things change!
    Also, if you plan to work on projects with other folks then projects will come up where you have to go along with the majority.

In my opinion, it is also a good idea to familiarize yourself with every worth-while programming language that you come across - never underestimate experience/exposure.

RobyG

[quote author=RobyG link=board=10;threadid=4;start=30#343 date=1029368614]
    never underestimate experience/exposure.
    [/quote]

...and the ignorance of others.

when i said use what u like, of course i could not be referring to the workplace, come on guys! u have to use what they want or try making suggestions if u think something else would be more appropraite. i am talking about doing your own projects. also again it depends on the situation, what the project requires which will determine the language/web dev tool u use.

I remember a time when I would sit at my computer till 4 in the morning programming junk. Everything from IRC clients to programs that performed a light show with your keyboard.

This post isn't going anywhere and has no point, I just felt like sharing.

I once tried making an instant messenger client/server, but had to improvise due to the fact that I didn't own a server (which I still don't). I ended up using dalnet as a server, circumventing the intended purpose, I'm sure if they found out they'd k-line me but who cared? I was on dial-up and had 10 different accounts/ISPs.

How it worked was the pseudo -server, sitting on my machine would have a fixed nickname...say kserver123, the clients would connect to dalnet and send kserver123 a message announcing that they were online, kserver123 would then send them a private message of every other client that was connected and the nickname and then *** the new client to the list.

I ran a challenge in the form of a PING every few seconds so as to ascertain that each client was still connected, if a client disconnected, a private message would be sent to everyone else on the list announcing that the other client had disconnected.

Conversations between clients would take place directly, sending a packet to the IP address of the client. I don't know why I used too different methods of communicating between clients, I just did.

Moving on, the application had endless possibilities, voice chat, file sharing...the works, and due to the parasitic nature of the pseudo-server, it would be very hard to find and stop. I should probably start working on that application again from the ground up. Make it open source and all.

Who'd be up for some time wasting?

It's my oppinion that OOP should be studied in detail. Object-oriented (OO) programming languages and OO analysis and design techniques influence data base systems design and development. The inevitable result is the object-oriented data base management system (OODBMS).

Many of the established data base vendors are incorporating OO concepts into their products in an effort to facilitate data base design and development in the increasingly OO world of distributed processing. In addition to improving the process of data base design and administration, the incorporation of OO principles offers new tools for securing the information stored in the data base.

I only voted for PHP because I saw no mention of Zope. I dream of Zope but do most of my work with PHP. Currently it is easier an cheaper to acquire a shared server with PHP/MySQL than it is to get a Zope server.

http://www.zope.org for more info.
    It really is a dream development platform for webdevelopers, I mostly fool with it on my own machine..

Application security should be studied along with any programming language. Does anyone know about OLE ( Object linking and embedding)? Maybe that is another forum topic.

I know about it. What does that have to do with security? Or maybe you were raising two different points.

Hey look.. I don't want to start another cat fight ;D... but I was just wondering... I am wanting to get into PHP just to tinker with it seriously.. but I found that it seems to be murder if you put it on a server that isn't Super-fast. What are your comments on that?

Also, I used to use ASP for everything, but (no offence to anyone), though powerful and with lotsa capabilities... some of the things it did, did seem a bit clumsy and not really structured. I guess that would be the fact that it is closer to scripting.

P.S. I know this is a little late but why did someone say that ColdFusion sucked?

Okay, just my two cents. Thanks guys.

L8r

[quote author=odsamuels link=board=10;threadid=4;start=#810 date=1032374491]
    but I found that it seems to be murder if you put it on a server that isn't Super-fast.
    L8r
    [/quote]
    I cannot speak about programming PHP, but i can tell you what impact it has on servers.PHP is an interpreted language nothing more that a script that is parsed and executed by the php interpreter program/module, what that meant was that every time a page got requested apache would have to send the request through to php/mod_php , with large sites you can see the problem (those with 1million pageviews) system load was tough to deal with and usually meant clustering your sites (using some loadbalancer).
    during the development of php3 a company came along that decided to fix the problems mentioned above, ZEND [http://www.zend.com] released a product called zend cache which would cache (post-interpretive cache) previously requested pages (like mod_perl...another story) causing speed increases of 50-300% (so they say) and because the system does not have to parse the scripts for every page view system load droped.However they were not done there, they soon developed zend compiler that reduces system load ,page latency and memory usage (that is not addressed by the first solution).As the name suggests zend compiler pre-compiles the php code and allows the fast and efficient loading of precompiled php (added advantage , no one can read your code).
    Then they zend got speed greedy and did zend optimizer (only a 5% speed diff) to make the execution somewhat more effecient and allow webservers to load (serve )the precompiled.
    All together the zend products allow for about 20-40x the preformance of standard php and *very* little system load.
    For a free cache(zend like) tool use APC (check freshmeat). All this is good for large sites since i hate to see http timeouts.
    -Kurt