View Poll Results: What's the best language to use for web development?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best language for web development

Default Re:Best language for web development

Java Servlets is not a language. The language is Java. A Java Servlet is simply a type of java program.
    I don't mean to get too technical, but anything we post here needs to be correct.
    While on the subject, I am here to tell all of you, that Java is the best web-development language.
    Granted it may not be the easiest language to use that those other scripting languages, but it is by far the most robust language to use....

I await all the challenges on that one ...

:-\

That's nice. What are you using to back that claim?

CKnight seems to be well educated in the field of web programming. PHP is now one of the most popular web-scripting languages in use world-wide. One only has to use PHP to appreciate its superiority over the other scripting languages including ASP (which incidentally is not a langauge - VBScript is the language). PHP was developed to be used on the web and has been around before ASP was even dreamt of. I wont repeat what has already been said but I can state a full and confident ditto to CKnights comments.

[quote author=Devo23 link=board=10;threadid=4;start=15#144 date=1027367488]
    While on the subject, I am here to tell all of you, that Java is the best web-development language.
    Granted it may not be the easiest language to use that those other scripting languages, but it is by far the most robust language to use....

I await all the challenges on that one ...
    [/quote]

How can Java be the best web-development language?

And just for my information, what Java IDE do you use?

Have you ever used Delphi? If I need to create a web-site only ouputting webpages or straight forward database access then PHP/ASP is probably good. If it has to be more like a web application then Delphi is first choice followed by Java. PHP is not as good for web apps as Delphi and Java are.

I could use my current Delphi environment and produce a web app or site in far less time than Java (or even PHP and the other scripting languages). The tools I use do not come with Delphi out of the box but are third-party components that I have purchased. These components are one of the latest in Web dev technology and is actually what .NET was meant to be.

With respect to Web application development I have used Delphi to create my own web apps with their own webserver built in. Therefore I can actually give my client one *.exe file and all they have to do is run it on their machine and that's it... you have a working web app. Or I could create an ISAPI dll so that they can use Apache server on Linux. This of course means that deployment is very easy.

Concerning robustness: Java, PHP, ASP, Delphi can all be considered robust enough for most of the requirements out there. So rubustness is really not an issue.

If you could probably give us an outline of a project that you have used Java on then, we could get an idea of the type of project you are thinking of when making such a statement.

Overall, Java has its place but its just behind Delphi.

I should have named this discussion "Best programming environment for web development" instead of "Best language for web development"

There is a difference between a "programming language" and a "programming environment" and I think it has caused issues in the replies. What I really meant in the first place was the best programming environment (or tool) for web development.

I tried java some years back. Matter or fact, I think I still have the book collecting some serious cobwebs somewhere. Tried delphi, it was OK, but I soon moved on when I got my VB and VC++ compiler.

The difference between the two are that I droped Java by choice, I dropped Delphi by cercomstance. The latter came into my life at a time when I was still digging for the language (tool) that I would use to make my billions. If Delphi had fallen into my lap later on....well, I still wouldn't be using it, I'm tired of GUI IDE's. But I will admit, it was the best of the worst.

I can't recall liking java in any of it's forms, not even the J++ knockoff.

It was too strict, too arcane (which I normally like, but something about this one didn't rub me right), and not like any language I've used before or since. It reminds me of cobol in many ways, the mojor being, silly syntax structures are needed for the app to compile.

Whenever you're gonna ask me to be this specific with me code, it's because you have a lazy compiler. You're asking me to do all the work instead of making the compiler/interpreter do the proper parsing, denoting etc.

In other words, Java sucks, Delphi sucks, but not as badly, interptreted languages (including ASP) rule.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=10;threadid=4;start=15#256 date=1028552894]

In other words, Java sucks, Delphi sucks, but not as badly, interptreted languages (including ASP) rule.
    [/quote]

CKnight, accordinging to you, When you say that Delphi sucks and interpreted languages rule, do you mean for web development or generally?

Web dev.

Delphi is great when making windows apps.

I like ASP and am now looking into ASP.Net. To each his own, use what you are comfortable with and what u like. and of course it depends on the situation what will determine what u use.

That's easy to say, but if you're looking to be a successful developer, not as easy to do.

A few years ago I was a VB fanatic , now, I don't touch the stuff.

Can I just throw it out the window and swear blindly by PHP and C++? No. VB is the most popular business language in the US and more than likely here as well so If I want a payslip at the end of the month I have to learn, use AND like tools that otherwise I would have turned a blind eye to.

It's the same with ASP, I prefer PHP, but I have to know ASP, everything about it (including ASP.net) if I want to make myself marketable.

You can't just use what you love, you have to use what the CEO tells you to love.

P.S. I have a beta of Visual Studio .NET if anyone's interested. It's kinda dusty and the case is busted, but then again, so is microsoft.