View Poll Results: What's the best language to use for web development?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best language for web development

Default Re:Best language for web development

ASP better than PHP?!?!?! Are you serious? What have you been smoking? I wont bother to tackle this one, I'll just direct you:

http://php.weblogs.com/php_asp_7_reasons.
    http://www.blazonry.com/devnotes/phpasp1.php
    http://www.artima.com/legacy/answers...sages/461.html

On second thought, I will tackle it.

Stay with me.

-PHP is open source, ASP is not
    -PHP is cross platform (including windows), ASP is not
    -PHP uses C++ like language structure, ASP uses client side scripting language structures.
    -PHP runs on any server (including IIS and PWS), ASP will only run on the 2 mentioned.
    -PHP has libraries that allow you to do more than ASP can even fathom, whatever simple functions you can perform under ASP, you most likely have to pay for the DLL. (even mail functions)
    -PHP is FREE, ASP can't be bought, it comes bundled within PWS or IIS which I wouldn't develop a website on if you held a gun to my head.

Though it's still a personal choice, ASP cannot stand up to PHP in any form or manner, the only things ASP has going for it are the Microsoft shareholders and their marketing savvy.

lmao - i am surprised

Asp can run on anything Apache can run on - You forget you are on the net and you can find almost anything free just have 2 know where to look - all of which you speak can be done in ASP - All programming languages have their faults and errors and security holes - but we should not forget your arguements are based on your biased to micro$oft products - we should also take a look on how the language is used on a whole - ASP is used more in the business environ and php is used for things like Bulletin boards and Blogs.

Heres something you cant challenge Asp and Perl are definately more sensible to use than PHP - why u ask? Perl and Asp can access and manipulate Databases without any third party DB management software installed - PHP is Dependent on SQL software.

--------------- http://www.blazonry.com/devnotes/phpasp1.php
    "ASP Microsoft's Active Server Pages offers wonderful technology that is widely supported by inexpensive web hosting companies. Plus, there are a great many web sites and books about ASP with many lines of free code."

"According to the evangelist, the big disadvantage to PHP and any open source software is that companies do not want it. They do not trust it."

"PHP has origins in the C programming language. (More about this in a forthcoming article.) " - this is to assume that everybody know how to program in C++ right Cknight?

No Doubt I respect PHP but for development i wouldn't touch it - i would rather have my asp pages call perl script or use XML & Good old Flash

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...entid=28000522 - Get with it.

Error No. 1.
    My argument is not based on a bias, all that I've stated are known facts and all the links I had produced were comparisons made by independent bodies. All the information you have presented is opinions and outdated ones at that.

Error No. 2.
    PHP is used in the business environment more than you know. Every application I create here is done in PHP, and it wasn't all my choice. Other government agencies including the Office of the Prime Minister use the same approach. ISP’s such as Cybervale are solely Linux.

Error No. 3.
    Native ASP runs only on PWS and IIS, people can try to emulate ASP support within other web server software, but it's not Microsoft’s, and with the amount of bugs that ASP has, who'd want to use a poorly designed, third party port? Whatever is available on the net can't be called ASP because it didn't come from Microsoft. Copyrights and trademarks are serious business.

Error No. 4.
    Companies do not shy away from PHP because they don't trust it. That was years ago when Microsoft kept preaching their propaganda to get company execs to shell out huge sums for Microsoft licenses (Which becomes even most costly come July 31). It's actually the opposite, companies flock to PHP and other open source projects because of their bottom line. The knowledge base for these products has grown exponentially. Every tech company I know and have worked for use PHP.

Error No. 5.
    PHP accesses every database known to man without the use of external software, It has MySQL and ODBC support embedded and can access other databases by just compiling the binary with support or in windows add the DLL file in the php.ini file.

C/++ is a better structured language than VB. No one can dispute that, when PHP adopted the program structure, it made the language stronger, not weaker. Someone not knowing how to code in that manner is no excuse for PHP to choose an inferior programming construct.

Yes, ASP has technologies developed by third parties, however you have to pay for it.

So you'd rather call a perl script that uses XML and display your flash animation, I'd rather use ONE (1) PHP script, which parses it's own XML (http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/justin20000428.php3) and then CREATE a flash animation (http://www.zend.com/manual/ref.swf.php)

8) Dude chill - you are calling what i stated errors when they are qouted from links you post - I think you are the one thats outdated and you shouldn't state that jamaican government ministries use it, because they dont know any better than anybody else and are not willin to pay more money to switch to something better - by the way FLASH has something called action script which means it not solely for animation purposes, people always say that, but cant do what they critic - :-\ I can program in Flash, XML (just started), PHP, ASP and PERL (in all i have alot more 2 learn) so i state what i have experienced - PHP has been my worst xp. The people who wrote the articles have been exposed to both environs also - so dont just take their words and drop it back on the page - I can find places and article where ASP CFM and JSP are hyped - but as you can c i dont bother - i dont post what i myself dont know and dont rely on web words ;D :

: Again i state that you should not use Jamaican Government as any excuse because if you look at some of their websites they leave alot to be desired. :-\
    :-X take a look http://www.top5jamaica.com/govt.html

Lets just kill the discussion now - I again say - it is my opinion. 8)

Hey guys, take a chill pill 8) Let's cool this one down a few degrees before we have garrisons set up in here ;D. We should be able to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of anything without getting a little steamy and as Vermanucci said it's his opinion and opinions can't be wrong, only disagreed with ;D

let's keep this type of informational discussion going because I for one am learning from it, and I know others are too

Hope I haven't shot this discussion down :-X

You haven't. Like you said, an opinion ca't be wrong (which is an incrrect opinion).

I'll admit that no tool is "better" than another, it's just how it's applied. You wouldn't use a hammer to kill an ant when your thumb will do.

However, my point in a nutshell is that if ASP is a knife, PHP is a swiss army.

PHP does everything ASP does short of the tricks IIS allows when working with exchange, office and other microsoft technologies.

In an environment where you are strictly microsoft, ASP will allow you to acomplish more, more quickly that PHP will. However, once you move out of the relm of a microsoft dependent information system, PHP quickly becomes your best option for your intranet, internet and everything in between.

If I choose to have Linux as my file, mail, web, firewall, proxy or groupware server, ASP is the first script that gets bumped out of the loop.

However, the same is not true of PHP if I decide to use NT for any of the aforementioned services.

;D Notice you haven't challenged the PERL opinion :-X

Their are more similarities between Perl and PHP than differences. It was one of the first web languages I went through before I picked up PHP, the other was Python(which isn't really a web language at all, but with CGI, why not). In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either of the above, but PHP will get you out the door a lot quicker, and a lot nicer.

I'd also like to take this oppotunity to state that cold fusion is crap.