View Poll Results: What's the best language to use for web development?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best language for web development

Default Best language for web development

Select an option to indicate your choice

Default Re:Best language for web development

I think HTML should be removed from the poll since you have to use some form of html in any of the above server side programming - additionally - all the people who vote for PHP please post your PHP or Java Serverlet Creations

still learning php so nothing to show yet.

Most of my PHP work can't be shown as it's private software being run by this office and JMMB.

However http://www.jadirect.com was designed in PHP from the ground up. It's still not complete but I don't have as much time on my hands as I used to.

As a side, you can check out http://www.procurement.gov.jm, I build that using the same code base that created JADIRECT.COM, but the former has been greatly enhanced.

Hey dont mean to be a hard ***** - but some of these pages would function the same with a .htm ext :-\ http://www.procurement.gov.jm except the login and register page of course.

Actually, none of the pages can function without the .php extension. Every page on the site does session maintenance, though it can't be seen. If .html was on any of the pages, you would automatically be logged out when you visit them.

This could be avoided by using some passive session maintenance, but the ".gov" at the end of the domain means I can't take any risks.

Same goes for JADIRECT

;D Risky but Avoidable 8) I understand your case - but many people drift toward it with no good reason - and many hosts charge extra for High end SQL access through PHP, so why bother? is it feasable?

I have never seen, much less done business with a host that charges for accessing a DBMS on a per transaction basis. The charge is usually applied to the total bandwidth used. FYI, a banner at the top of your page takes up far more bandwidth than returning a recordset from a MySQL database, and no, not all browsers cache, mine doesn't.

It's easier to use '.php', '.asp' etc. on all your pages because for professional sites scripting is almost always necessary. Whether it's to do session management, or include a header/footer, which is always used for logos, menus and banners.

Yes, you could use a SSI, but why use too methods to achieve the same end? Having '<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/example.cgi" -->' on one page and '<?require "/cgi-bin/example.cgi";?>' on another could not be considered proper web site developement.

What it comes down to is, having a homogeneous development environment is always preferred to having files of varying extensions even if it's just for a uniform look.

I think ASP is much better than PHP under any environ : :P

I have removed "HTML" from the poll and have replaced it with "WebSnap (Delphi)"