Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I get a GOOD VB Tutorial ?

Default Re:Where can I get a GOOD VB Tutorial ?

[quote author=nder link=board=23;threadid=2093;start=0#msg29959 date=1078815520]
    ...anyone knows of any tutorials that address VB programming from a Java programmer perspective, that would be very welcome.
    [/quote]

More specifically, from an OOP perspective. Java shines when it comes to well structured programming because it is full Object Oriented Programming. You can't write a "Hello World" program without making full object references.

To answer your question however, no, I don't know of any. I'm sure they're out there though.

Final year @ Utech huh?

Have you ever heard of Visual Studio .NET? Visual Basic .NET is a part of this new package. It literally forces you to use the same structured programming paradigm as does Java and C++ before it.

Visual Basic .NET uses the following concepts:

- Packaging (Automatically handled by the .NET framework)
    - Classes (New to Visual Basic, but constructed in exactly the same way as in Java, with almost the exact same syntax)
    - Inheritance & Polymorphism (same as above)
    - Structured OOP paradigms using widgets to define Object Handlers
    - A whole ton more I can't list here...

If you're interested, you need to private message me. We probably see each other everyday. The Visual Studio .NET comes with excellent tutorials and a conversion mechanism to change your Visual Basic 6 app to VS.NET.

The beauty with .NET is that your final app will be exported to a set of setup files from which you can easily create an AUTORUN.INF file and burn the lot to CD. It's excellent for putting your projects on CD.

When Mr. Campbell was marking a few Analysis of Algorithms projects we did last year, he practically didn't need us there to demo it. All he did was pop in a CD, and the application auto-loaded, installed just like a typical Windows app, and he was read to view it himself.

If you're worried about making a structured programming faux pas in VB.NET, fret not. The real-time interpreter is brilliant an communicating to you where you are making such probable flaws. I love this feature about .NET where while you are typing code, even though the code is syntatically correct, a yellow box will pop up telling you that you are creating potentially flawed code (almost like a grammar check in Ms Word). That's why VB.NET always produces ROCK SOLID programs for me.

However, nothing can beat a Well Thought Out project plan my friend.

Until you finally decide to move to .NET, here's an excellent site you can go to for VB 6 resources:

http://www.visualbasicforum.com/index.php

It's setup just like TechJamaica.com but dedicated to Visual Basic Programming. If you have any programming specific questions, or are looking for tutorials, this website ROCKS. You probably won't need another resource aside from this one.

Go nuts!

I've got two files.One's "Teach Yourself VB 5 in 24 hours" the other is "Using VB 6". Both are under 1 meg.

[move] ;D Stop laughing guys... ;D[/move]