Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need To Learn PHP!

Quote Originally Posted by keroed1
    oh ok cool, what did u wirte the code in? dreamweaver??...............and yeah i am familar with C and C++ haven'nt done anything serious in that language in probably 2 years but hey its jus like riding a bicycle, once u get back on it you are criss
    No I don't use any fancy web editors cause I like to get my hands dirty with writing code. When I started php I code mainly in FreeBSD (its a unix operating system) and I use the default text editor gedit and vim (which is commanline based). When I'm in windwos I used edit plus, you can call it notepad with syntax highlighting and a bit of code completion help. but since lately I started to use php eclipse. its a plugin for eclipse that allows you to write and test php code and since it run on both windows and unix I kinda stuck with that.

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    but since lately I started to use php eclipse. its a plugin for eclipse that allows you to write and test php code and since it run on both windows and unix I kinda stuck with that.
    is this a freeware, or i goign ot have to see if i can download one and get a crack??

Eclipse is a free opensource IDE, so you don't need to crack it. I use it for Java, C, C++ and now PHP. Its written in Java and therefore its very taxing on the system memory so if you dont have 512+ memory in your system I wouldn't recommend it.

But for beginning PHP programmer I'd actually tell you to start off writing the code in notepad, or get edit plus (thats shareware). Get a feel for the language before you get one of those fancy IDE that automates everything for you.

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Eclipse is a free opensource IDE, so you don't need to crack it. I use it for Java, C, C++ and now PHP. Its written in Java and therefore its very taxing on the system memory so if you dont have 512+ memory in your system I wouldn't recommend it.

But for beginning PHP programmer I'd actually tell you to start off writing the code in notepad, or get edit plus (thats shareware). Get a feel for the language before you get one of those fancy IDE that automates everything for you.
    oh ok cool, yeah man i have a 512 ddr memory the specs in my sugniture is my computer spesc ...............so when i wirte the code in notepad for example i jsu sav it is as .php extention right?

yeah just save it with a .php.

happy programming!

keroed1 Guest

thanks is actually a series of them i m plannign to teach myself, i am in my final year at UTECH an di was saying inorder to make myself marketable enough so that i can get a job i need to learn some new lanugages other than jus teh ones taught at utech

so i planning to learn
    1.oracle
    2.mysql
    3.php
    4.jsp

andi was thinking of probly doing some certification arter i finish school butthe money kinda tight at the moment so i dont know........

hey, heres another excellent text editor... I no longer use notepad.

Download Notepad++ Its Free!!
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by juiceheadband
    hey, heres another excellent text editor... I no longer use notepad.

Download Notepad++ Its Free!!
    oh cool i am going to go to the link now to download it

I found this one the other day Pspad, does everything and is also free

- work with various programming environments
    - like highlighted syntax in code
    - need a small tool with simple controls and the capabilities of a mighty code editor
    - are looking for a tool to work with plain text
    - want to save money and still have the functionality of professional products

http://www.pspad.com/en/

as far as i'm concerned the best out there will forever be dreamweaver and php designer for the winner in the opensource dev environs. no questions asked, full syntax highlighting easy switching between syntax highlighting [ html, php javacript multipler (every thing at once) ]

just google php designer.

and like owen said if your verse on c++ and or javascript you'll have no problem with php syntax is very familiar from there on out you just need the logic which you should already have as a c++ programmer and learn some functions

a little advice try checking outa php framework like prado or something php can be very annoying at times feels like your re-inventing the wheel everytime you start a new application.