Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamaican websites hacked!

Default Re:Jamaican websites hacked!

I hate the fact that our Saviour Jesus name was used in this evil deed.

That what ticks me off the most.

Manley airport yet to be fixed

The sites seemed to be fixed now.
    Radio stations carried it on the news this morning.

Reports on FAME news this morning states that jamaicaobserver.com's hack wasn't a simple DNS redirection, but rather a full fledged hack. They actually uploaded a set of files to their server and replaced the actual pages.

I must be living somewhere else, i haven heard anything at all, other than what i have seen here. Thats bad

igodit Guest

I heard that they were hacked through the Frontpage extensions on the website, more M$ flaws.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=27;threadid=1984;start=0#msg19694 date=1065449553]Reports on FAME news this morning states that jamaicaobserver.com's hack wasn't a simple DNS redirection, but rather a full fledged hack. They actually uploaded a set of files to their server and replaced the actual pages.[/quote]

But we all know that it wasn't a DNS redirection. The hackers apparently used a Frontpage extension vulnerability allowing them to gain access and run free on the server. They replaced the index files for the websites mentioned.

wow is this a first for Jamaican websites, i mean the scale of the attacks?

wow is this a first for Jamaican websites, i mean the scale of the attacks?
    definitely a first in terms of the scale. but i guess there are not many instances of numerous jamaican web sites being hosted on the same server .. hence many felled with one blow.

i think rjr, go-jamaica, the pnp (still to find the screenshot) have all been hacked in the past (sometimes more than once).

Let's hope that something positive can come out of this. Jamaican websites getting hacked is nothing new...been happen long time. However because this incident has gotten some more publicity, maybe more companies will start to take Information Security more seriously and do what they need to do to keep their webistes, and internal systems, safe.

Website defacement is bad, but at least it let's you know that something bad has happened. What about the hacks that you don't easily see? How many websites are out there with your personal information on insecure servers?

How do we know that when a company goes "on line" they are really ready to handle the challenges that await them where security is concerned?

What recourse does the average joe have if his personal info is compromised when a website is hacked?

Let's hope that discussions coming from this incident can help to answer some of these questions and help us move forward.