Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Hottest Certification for 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mbug
    What exactly is PMP, it's the first I am hearing about this one?
    PMP, Project Management Professional, is a certification with highlights your abilities to manage and lead projects. Comparitively (and I don't mind being flamed for this) PMP is quite similar to having a BSc. Business Administration degree. I go further to say a newly PMP certified individual may be more competent at management tasks than a newly Degree certified individualy because of the requirements of getting a PMP certification.

eg.

Eligibility Criteria

Educational Background
    Project Management Experience
    Project Management Education

High school diploma or equivalent

7,500 hours in a position of responsibility leading and directing specific tasks and 60 months of project management experience. Applicants who hold a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) are only required to have 4,500 hours leading and directing specific tasks and 36 months of project management experience.

Undoubtedly there are topics on the BSc. Busi Ad. degree that are not covered by the certification, but most of those thing are hardly ever used by the degree individual without consultation of a book.

I am BY NO MEANS SAYING PMP IS A REPLACEMENT OR ALTERNATIVE to the degree, but I am giving your an synopsis as to what the certifcation entails.

For more information you can visit there website at www.pmi.org
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

I'll check out the website thanks

digimon Guest

hey guys, if i wanna go into programming and software design as a career, after my Bsc what would be my next step?

Quote Originally Posted by digimon
    hey guys, if i wanna go into programming and software design as a career, after my Bsc what would be my next step?
    Again it boils down to what you want to do or the Language you specialize in.

Java has there certification. Here
    Microsoft has their solutions certifications ... MCAD and MCSD
    PHP has their certifications Here

Even Web development certifications are out there. HERE

Certifications are to show how good you are at a thing. So you need to be good at something and then go through a certification tract to master it in a specific avenue. You can use certifications to set you goals as to what you want to achieve but ensure that you LEARN and MASTER the ACTUAL tasks rather than rushing to pass the exams.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Comparitively (and I don't mind being flamed for this) PMP is quite similar to having a BSc. Business Administration degree.
    Not quite sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.

I go further to say a newly PMP certified individual may be more competent at management tasks than a newly Degree certified individualy because of the requirements of getting a PMP certification.
    Not sure I agree with you. Project management skills are very important. However, the skills required to manage a company are often quite different. Much depends on the organization.

Undoubtedly there are topics on the BSc. Busi Ad. degree that are not covered by the certification, but most of those thing are hardly ever used by the degree individual without consultation of a book.
    I definitely disagree with this.

Some organizations are project driven. This year they may be implementing a new computer system. Next year they may be trying to purchase a competitor. The following year, they may be opening a new branch.

Some organizations do few projects. They just need someone to make sure that the inventory arrives on time and the sales go out on time. Most managers need to have an understanding of the financial issues facing the organization.

In the organizations that I have seen, the project manager and the general manager are different people. Projects are often managed by a person with some skills/experience in the practice area.

Project management skills are very important. However, what happens to the project manager when there are no more projects to be implemented?

I can see where Digicel, Cable and Wireless and JPS would always need project managers. What about places like BNS, Courts and Mayberry Investments?
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 5, 2006 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    I can see where Digicel, Cable and Wireless and JPS would always need project managers. What about places like BNS, Courts and Mayberry Investments?
    You'd be surprised how the BNS, Courts, Mayberrys have projects going on that require project managers. Don't focus on the more technology oriented companies as requiring PMs, other companies do as well. As simple thing such as upgrading the electricity infrastructure in a store or bank is a project. Launching a new financial instrument and the systems to support it is a project. etc.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

The realm have Project Management has vastly increased. Former confinements of PM no longer exist and it concept of a project is far greater than before. PMI has recognised this which is why they set such high standards for actually earning the certification.

If a you decide to Start a new business making Jamrock Shoes, that is considered a project you are embarking on. If Scotiabank desides to build a new office in Lime Tree Lane, that is a project. If Capital and Credit desides develop and implement a new financial instrument that will allow them to capitalize the US stock market that is a project.

These examples show how project management has evolve to reaching far beyond former views.

As such the curiculum and the experience requirement of the PMP certification has been tailored for just such purpose. It is the experiential requirement (eg. 7,500 hours in a position of responsibility leading....) is what makes a PMP certified individual stand out comparing to a new Degree Person.

Tell you what do a search for PMP at any international headhunter website. Every week the numbers for them grows. Why? because they are performers.

Oh...you can loose your PMP certification

As simple thing such as upgrading the electricity infrastructure in a store or bank is a project. Launching a new financial instrument and the systems to support it is a project. etc.
    The realm have Project Management has vastly increased. Former confinements of PM no longer exist and it concept of a project is far greater than before. PMI has recognised this which is why they set such high standards for actually earning the certification.

If a you decide to Start a new business making Jamrock Shoes, that is considered a project you are embarking on. If Scotiabank desides to build a new office in Lime Tree Lane, that is a project. If Capital and Credit desides develop and implement a new financial instrument that will allow them to capitalize the US stock market that is a project.
    All of this is true. However, my comments were directed specifically at the following statements.

I go further to say a newly PMP certified individual may be more competent at management tasks than a newly Degree certified individualy because of the requirements of getting a PMP certification.
    Undoubtedly there are topics on the BSc. Busi Ad. degree that are not covered by the certification, but most of those thing are hardly ever used by the degree individual without the consultation of a book
    The banks have property managers who implement these things. They report to the senior management at intervals. In my experience, the management of a company does not get involved in these projects unless something is going wrong.

I would expect the introduction of a new financial instrument to be managed by a MBA, ACCA or CPA holder. There would also be heavy involvement from the marketing department.

I would be very surprised if someone whose main certification was a PMP was given this task.

I know of people with training in specific disciplines who have studied project management afterwards. They found themselves in jobs which involved the implementation of projects and felt deficient in that area.

To me, general management of a company and project management are two different things. Both are important. But they are different.
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 6, 2006 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    The banks have property managers who implement these things. They report to the senior management at intervals. In my experience, the management of a company does not get involved in these projects unless something is going wrong.

I would expect the introduction of a new financial instrument to be managed by a MBA, ACCA or CPA holder. There would also be heavy involvement from the marketing department.

I would be very surprised if someone whose main certification was a PMP was given this task.

I know of people with training in specific disciplines who have studied project management afterwards. They found themselves in jobs which involved the implementation of projects and felt deficient in that area.

To me, general management of a company and project management are two different things. Both are important. But they are different.
    Jamrock, you are right when you say that general management and project management are 2 different things. You can look at project management as a specialized, focused area of management.

In the financial sector, when new products get launched, you better believe that project management skills are needed to pull things off sucessfully. Some companies do have dedicated project managers for such endeavours. They may have skills or experience in the particular field, but in their role as project manager, all they need to care about is managing resources and schedules. They get Subject Matter Experts (SME) and resources to deal with the technical details and actually carry out the work. The MBA's CPA, ACCAs, CFAs etc. may come up with the actual solution and effect the work, but the project manager should only be responsible for coordinating all the resources and schedules, managing communications, and facilitating the work.

A good project manager doesn't necessarily make a good general manager and vice versa. 2 different skillsets. Hence the education for the 2 are different. General management may include some project management.

IT professionals can definitely benefit from acquiring project management skills. Good thing to add to the qualifications.

Ah. Bwoy.

Let me ask this. You have a project/business that you want to start which involves a WAN network between over 500 schools and several government organisations ()

It was your job to employ individual most suited for the overseeing this business. Which would be your pick.

A. BSc. Computer Studies - 2 years experience.
    B. PMP - CCNP - 2 MCP exams
    C. MBA - 3 years IT experience

* Hint make sure you double check the criteria for these certifications before answering, including MBA