Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *BSD users

Default Re:*BSD users

I think the solution is right in our faces. Look at how FreeBSD installs; they give you all you will need, then they say here are some additional software etc. choose to your liking, choose <this> to get more info. If you want to install everything on the discs you have that option too.

I guess all the linux have something like that. Only thing, peoples opinion, like with Windows are playing too much of a part in it. If they should give you a bare functioning install and then a separate install process for the addons then the problem would be partly solved.

[quote author=newtoo? link=board=8;threadid=1938;start=0#msg21959 date=1068150052]
    I think the solution is right in our faces. Look at how FreeBSD installs; they give you all you will need, then they say here are some additional software etc. choose to your liking, choose <this> to get more info. If you want to install everything on the discs you have that option too.

I guess all the linux have something like that. Only thing, peoples opinion, like with Windows are playing too much of a part in it. If they should give you a bare functioning install and then a separate install process for the addons then the problem would be partly solved.
    [/quote]

That's an example of the tradeoff that is made between convenience and security. Some users appreciate the package selection up front during the install because it saves them from having to go back after and figure out how to get other packages on the system. Most Linux distros do allow you to go in after the installation and customize your system in terms of installing and uninstalling packages.

I like the way that OpenBSD development is handled though...proactive code audits done by between 6 and 12 individuals some of whom have extensive experience in the security arena (writing what eventually became CyberCop vulnerability scanner). That plus native support for strong cryptography right in the kernel make OpenBSD the most secure operating system in the eyes of many security practitioners. 8) They can really boast about being Secure by Default, Secure by Design and Secure in Deployment. 8) 8) 8)

http://www.openbsd.org

igodit Guest

You know with all that has been happening in the Linux World people are going to end up switching to BSD. Personally as a user, I feel as though we are losing our grip on having that significance to be a Linux User. :'(

I feel as though we are losing our grip on having that significance to be a Linux User.
    It is early days yet. I am going to wait until the dust settles.

I still remember the internet boom when everyone just had to have a website or a web enabled product. People started a company, went public and became millionaires even though they had no proper business model or product.

I suspect that there is going to be a Linux boom where everyone tries to get a piece of Linux. Afer a while things will calm down we will return to a sustainable development model.

Linux has gotten this far with people who wrote code because they enjoyed writing programmes and they took pride in their work. It will survive these changes.

I like the way that OpenBSD development is handled though...proactive code audits done by between 6 and 12 individuals some of whom have extensive experience in the security arena
    Yes. I have been impressed with their approach. A friend told me that he uses OpenBSD for firewalls because of their track record re: security.

I plan to have a look at it early next year.

Let me see if I can update this string about beastie.

Well, I have installed NetBSD and FreeBSD. FreeBSD is the faster, user-friendly, most current, linux-similar one. NetBSD is the opposite.

NetBSD, though, is easier to download and simpler to configure. Call it that nothing is default (except Vi). And as root type in sushi and you get something close enough to that program i can't remember that can do everything with scripts, right linuxconf.

Trust me, if I had a computer for myself, I would try out all the opensource OS out there; just because of what I am experiencing with NetBSD and pkgsrc. Talk about type and install. As long as all dependencies are in the same folder, things will most likely (un)install without hitches. And all NetBSD are the same. So if you have the one on the XBOX it works just like the ix86.

There is so much to tell. Only thing I can say is that linux changes faster, but this old guy can support anything linux has. And its faster. And And blah blah. It's just what linux will be in the future (hopefully).

One problem: I don't know anything about editing its boot manager and I have to use FreeBSD's manual to edit NetBSD.

I would recommend the person who has advanced in linux and wants to do some configs manually and run less processes in the background to try a BSD.

If mi did have net mi would a post a pic.

Don't forget that OSX is based off of a variant of BSD (Mach), which is why OSX releases are getting seen a lot alongside Linux/BSD releases, as it's just yet-another-recompile (well, depending... X11/GTK stuff for OSX is a bit weird, I hear.

To put back some life in this string:

I want to compile a source package, but have to get this whole bunch of dependencies. I don't have internet at home and have to download from different locations, some with authorization issues on software installation. Is there a windows software, or a website that can get me all the dependencies for a certain package on one page to download or all of them at once?

BTW, I am using NetBSD, installations using pkg_src, and the package i am trying to get is either vlc or mplayer.

T'is the location of da softy:
    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/pack...ia/README.html

Default Adventures with OpenBSD

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and installed OpenBSD 3.8.
    I figure that it makes sense for me to try it out since it is security focussed and all. After installing in a VMWare virtual machine, I just got this nostalgic feeling - reminiscent of the days@UWI banging away at Pascal and C code on them UNIX servers over by Comp Sci. It just feels different than Linux. It feels like real UNIX. I'm gonna go dig up my old "Berkely UNIX environment" text book and learn all over again. This summer, it's back to UNIX.

Wow Nice thread, thanks for waking this up BCK I didnt seem to find this when I was doing some BSD search on this site. I though Jamaicans weren't really interested In the BSD flavour of the UNIX family.

Anyways, I really like BSD(s) with my favourite being FreeBSD, I get a feeling of being at home on this operating system. I'm seriously going to spend some of my free time doing whatever I can to help in the development of this Operating System. I have already gone though their OS design docs and source code because I intend to be a commiter to their source tree.
    I got into FreeBSD cause it was the first operating system I came across that was so well documented and well designed. I was using Linux for a few years before decided to look at FreeBSD, I think someone on this forum said that once you Master Linux you move to FreeBSD so I decided to check it out, but I disagree, its easier to master the BSD(s) than any one of the Linux distros. Take for example how easy it is to modify and compile any of the BSD kernels.
    Another difference between BSD and Linux is that Linux is a kernel while BSD is an operating system complete with kernel and userland tools all developed by the same group, so we have better integration of the tools into the operating system. While in Linux I get the feeling that distros are duck tapes between the kernel and user tools because they is no coordination between their development. However some were able to get it right like Debian.
    BSD(s) apply more mathematical and scientific principles into their design and development and that what I like most about them. You wont find any "hacked" in feature, they will have to be properly integrated into the OS before they are accepted, while this may slow down things a bit in terms of adding new features it makes for a more solid and robust design.
    I remember writing a C program on Linux using the epoll interface, It was real buggy then as the feature was basically a patch to hack the feature into the kernel (Maybe the feature has been improved since then). I had recently dug up the same old program and rewrote it for BSD and with their kqueue interface. The kqueue interface was well documented and designed to make porting the code a breeze though I didnt have to do much cause BSD is POSIX compatible.

As for OpenBSD a lots of great stuff came from them, Like OpenSSH, pf, OpenCVS and lots more security focus software, though a lot of people are angry in that they seems they never like the way stuff are implemented and reimplement it themselves rather than trying to improve whats there already. I havn't tried OpenBSD yet though I currently need a new drive of a new machine to do that. I have tried NetBSD but their OS wasn't as well documented as FreeBSD so I didn't get into that too much, but they all share a lot in common in their design goals.
    Last edited by leoandru; Apr 23, 2006 at 11:04 AM.

Hi all. Sorry for the absence. Two reasons: presently unemployed and internetless.

Anyway, to put it very short, through all my experiments, I found the only advantage linux has at present over *BSD is udev!

Do you agree?