Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re:blackberry 7100g

Default re:blackberry 7100g

I am contemplating purchasing the new blackberry 7100g as a xmas gift for my father but I wanted to get some feedback/comments from this board first.
    Anyone have the phone and is using it so they can provide some comments here?
    I called Digicel and they do not have an unlimited data plan as opposed to C&W who does. This is a major deterrent as I refuse to pay per KB for every email sent/web page opened.
    Also does the phone come unlocked from either carrier?
    I dont mind buying from either carrier, as I see the prices are the same at both, but I want the best deal with the most suitable plan.
    Any comments/suggestions are most welcome...

I had the older one the 6230,Id have to say C&W is better suited for Blackberry and Sidekick phones as they have formal agreements with the companies so you can use almost all the features of the phone IM etc and the data plans are good as you said.
    However,I actually didnt use the 6230 with either providers.
    My friend who has it is raving about the 7100 that it is a great phone and worthy of the upgrade. I think the price is steep though.
    Also whereas people may buy a phone from Digicel that may come unlocked that is almost never the case with C&W its usually locked.
    When I had my Sidekick last year I believe I was on the 90 plan or something like that it was good,could im,check email and make a host of calls and my bill would be on average $5000 per month. Then after one month I just couldnt bother to pay and sold it.

Ok Renkin. Firstly the 7100g is an excellent device and does quite a lot for the price. This will make a great gift for any business person.

As it relates to which network is favorable, I implore that you consider a Blackberry service rather than simply a gprs service, otherwise you will be wasting more of the device'f features.

A feature that I like myself is the live sync with your outlook contacts and inbox. That is, if you add a contact in your phone, as long as your computer is on the net and your outlook is open, it will automatically add it to you outlook contacts. (This being your choice that is).

Another feature is the "push email" service. Where POP3 mails are automatically sent to your phone (if setup) as soon as the mail is sent.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

thanks nastro for the advice
    definitely my father will be using the blackberry software on the phone, but I mentioned the other services simply as part of an unlimited data package from C&W comprising not only emails but also web access and sms etc. the price according to both dealers is a 'special introductory' price which will increase shortly.
    $25k seems a little steep to me also, as I can source it from the US for under $20k. the main reason I have not done that is I wasnt sure if I bought an unlocked model from the US, if the blackberry enterprise software and the other data settings etc would synchronize/work with C&W. I assume it would but this was a major concern before I purchase.
    however, so far I have received mostly positive reviews so I appreciate that and probably will be purchasing one very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by renkin
    thanks nastro for the advice
    definitely my father will be using the blackberry software on the phone, but I mentioned the other services simply as part of an unlimited data package from C&W comprising not only emails but also web access and sms etc. the price according to both dealers is a 'special introductory' price which will increase shortly.
    $25k seems a little steep to me also, as I can source it from the US for under $20k. the main reason I have not done that is I wasnt sure if I bought an unlocked model from the US, if the blackberry enterprise software and the other data settings etc would synchronize/work with C&W. I assume it would but this was a major concern before I purchase.
    however, so far I have received mostly positive reviews so I appreciate that and probably will be purchasing one very soon.
    U cannot source it from overseas and bring it to Jamaica. The device basically cannot be unlocked.

If u decide to use it in Jamaica in order to set it up U will need a few things, IMEI and Device PIN.

RIM keeps a record of every device sold, setup on which network etc To setup a blackberry with a provider u need to get the blackberry from that provider. RIM is high on security in more ways than one. They dont allow u to get a phone from overseas and use it with another provider so dont even think about getting it from overseas.

Now to the device - Its a good device, does its functions well, its a business device, and thats all it is. Constant synching, and as Nastro already pointed out its main feature is Push email. Contact info from outlook as well as emails are both on the device and on the email server. If someone sent u a mail to ur office email address, often times than not u would see it on the device before u saw it on the actual email - Outlook. Actually nothing is stored on the Blackberry device, its all stored from the mail server, whether ur company is using Microsoft exchange server or lotus. The device simply allows u to view the information when away from the office.

It is however not limited to company email and can be used with other email solutions such as Yahoo Plus, Hotmail plus and Gmail. Gmail being the only free option.

With regards to the plans - Digicel does offer an unlimited plan, they have to. Simply because a pay per use package price would be through the roof since data is constantly being transferred.

If u want to purchase the phone for ur father, u will need to answer some key questions.

What will he use it for?

Will he use it in the capacity it was meant to be used?

Does his company offer the service or has any agreement with either provider?

Also u mentioned BES - With Digicel its offered to only postpaid, another option is available for Prepaid, both at a flat rate.

I currently actually have the device using and can give u a review later.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchie
    Actually nothing is stored on the Blackberry device, its all stored from the mail server, whether ur company is using Microsoft exchange server or lotus.
    so mitchie, if my connection from the mail server was lost for some unknown reason, does that mean i wouldn't be able to view my emails or contacts since they aren't stored on the phone itself??
    Macbook Core Duo 1.83ghz
    OS X 10.4.10 - 1.25gb Ram

Quote Originally Posted by digitalchef
    so mitchie, if my connection from the mail server was lost for some unknown reason, does that mean i wouldn't be able to view my emails or contacts since they aren't stored on the phone itself??
    Data is on both, so that wouldnt be an issue
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Blackberry devices are great for individuals on the go who need to access office mail or need constant access to an isp email account. Posting using blackberry 7290 now.

Mitchie,
    thanks for the comments, much appreciated. couple things tho:
    when i called Digicel on a number of occasions, the reps insisted to me they knew nothing of a data plan whatsover. however, since you know of the plan, could you pls post any info you have including price?
    my father will be using it primarily for email as he's the principal of our family business and needs to see his emails as they come in and since he works partly from home and the office.
    he is already a postpaid customer with C&W using a p800 but i'd like to upgrade to this model for him and they have a specific plan for this phone. i am confident he will get good value out of this phone.
    i saw the phone this afternoon and most likely will purchase tomorrow morning as C&W is offering a special price this weekend.
    look forward to your review tho, thanks again.

I have a Blackberry 7280 (post paid CWJ)...really neat...mainly use it for browsing, email, MSN instant messaging and managing/accessing remote servers (via ssh)..Quite addictive I may add.

Would make a great gift especially for persons on the go.