Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking a stolen Laptop

TwistedPair Guest

Default Tracking a stolen Laptop

I just came across this video, of this lecturer who'se laptop was stolen, he makes a series of bold statements about his ability to track the laptop down and I was wondering if it was all hype.

http://www.nearlygood.com/video/stolenlaptop.html

girldemsuga Guest

i know Sony laptop has a feature like which is described in the video but it is a feature offer through Sony

pppssh.. I think hes just bluffing trying to scare the person into handing over the laptop.

girldemsuga Guest

that could be, he said that he knows that the laptop is still on campus, the only way i think they could have know that is if the DHCP or DNS table where check.
    Other than from that, there is no way to know exactly where on the campus the laptop is.

A router could log the MAC address of every client connecting through it. That way he can know if it is connected on the campus LAN.
    I dream in my dream all the dreams of the other dreamers and I become the other dreamers.
    1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

if its on campus and the router logs the mac and a smart switch logs the port, then theoretically u could use a cabling diagram and see where it is plugged in exactly. theoretically.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

cabling? what if it was wireless.

u can know what access point it is connected to.
    To me that seems limited, what if hes off campus and connected to the network via dialup?

girldemsuga Guest

in the video, i he said that the person did not plug the laptop into the network, so the network connection was most like established wirelessly and by know which wireless router (access point) it connected to, they could have an ideal of the general area the laptop is located but not exactly where within that general area.
    If he used a dial up connection, he is as good as caught.

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    if its on campus and the router logs the mac and a smart switch logs the port, then theoretically u could use a cabling diagram and see where it is plugged in exactly. theoretically.
    but this is not fool hardy because you couldd spoof the Mac address of the laptop much like how you router can spoof the mac address of your computer to fool ISP's