Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any sacrifices in going LINUX???

Question Are there any sacrifices in going LINUX???

With every passing day i am becoming more and more disgruntled with Windows and am seriousely considering going Linux. So what i'd like to kknow is if there is a sacrefice or any consiquences of using Linux over Windows like application availability and so on. I know that you have to get some applications call "WABI and WINE"(or something like that am not sure of the spelling but its pronounced the same) that i learnt of in my course(CISCO) to allow windows applications to be compatible with Linux.
    If you make an informative post then thanx in advanced but if otherwise .
    AM OUT!!!
    DO ONTO OTHERS BEFORE THEY DO ONTO YOU!!!

what do you want to do with linux? and what do you expect by switching to linux? those are the first two questions you need to answer before you can "switch". answer those questions and post back.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Not all apps are compatible with wine, not sure bout wabi... doubt it will be either.

My only problem with it is watching videos. Installing codecs ..... dont even get me started, other than that im kool with it.

i only have two problems with linux. the first is gaming and the second is that i share computers with 2 other non-techies that can't be bothered to learn a new os.

Quote Originally Posted by crosses
    With every passing day i am becoming more and more disgruntled with Windows and am seriousely considering going Linux. So what i'd like to kknow is if there is a sacrefice or any consiquences of using Linux over Windows like application availability and so on. I know that you have to get some applications call "WABI and WINE"(or something like that am not sure of the spelling but its pronounced the same) that i learnt of in my course(CISCO) to allow windows applications to be compatible with Linux.
    If you make an informative post then thanx in advanced but if otherwise .
    AM OUT!!!
    Crossover Office will help where the MS Windows applications are concerned....Linux has a learning curve but it shouldn't take too long for you to figure out how to get around and do stuff....I suggest you use Mepis or Kubuntu..

Some people recommend changing to Linux only when you have the mindset to learn completely new ways of interacting with your OS. If you just want to use your computer without knowing "what's under the hood" then Linux is not for you.

@ Virus
    HOw come mi cyaan find a post with your codec probs? Post a link to one please? Thought that was solved already!

Never made a post about it. But when istalling DivX and other codecs, its dependent on alot of other packages. If your not very resourceful (using google) you gonna have alot of problems with linux.

Installing mplayer... now thats a .....
    Dont really like totem

igodit Guest

Linux has evolved quite a bit, right now there are lots of distros that do not require in-depth knowledge of your computer to use Linux. If fact I personally stay away from some distros because it take way so much of the work.

I recommend, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora ...

And regular visits to the Linux Section of Techjamaica and JaLUG meetings (every 2nd Sat. of the month)

Alright.
    Here is what i found usually works.

Install the source version of Mplayer. Following the instructions to the letter. Make sure that u run what they say to run. Check to see what is capable and what is not, i.e., go through config.in and config.log (I think those are the files).

Also u most likely have to install css decoding separately. Haven't used it in a while so don't know the status. But this is necessary to watch DVD.

The codecs and plugins don't need to be installed like Windows. Just copy them to a directory, and they will work.

Also try Ogle, Xine and there are many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Not all apps are compatible with wine, not sure bout wabi... doubt it will be either.

My only problem with it is watching videos. Installing codecs ..... dont even get me started, other than that im kool with it.
    I think it is not as hard as how u wanna make it sound
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75278
    I watch wmv,mov and format that i didn't even know exsist.
    This is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday and now you know why.
    What is BarterGeek.com?