Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telcoms competition note

Default Telcoms competition note

Whereas CWJ is still offering free voicemail retrevial to land line customers for now and introducing phased in Caller ID cell customers.... it is interesting to note that Digicel has been going through its own phases as well...

Initially calls to message serivce on digicel network was at $5/minute (if i remember correctly), this was then lowered to $1/call and now for the big one.... it has now been lowered again.. yes you guessed it .... it is now FREE!!!

Go figure.... is this more shaping up for March 2003 or what?

Default Re:Telcoms competition note

What you telling me? Calls to Digicel messaging system are now FREE? ;D Since when?

FREE VOICEMAIL!!

YEP. Voicemal calls are free - charges apply to other messaging services such as text messages.

When you dial 123 to retreive your vociemail it only costs you $0.00
    The ads have been out for a day or two now.

[quote author=Collin link=board=1;threadid=190;start=0#1228 date=1034343072]
    The ads have been out for a day or two now.[/quote]
    That shows how out of touch I've been recently :-[

Free voicemail is a good move in the right direction ;D

What I also like is the ability to send a short e-mail message to a Digicel phone so it costs me no more than sending an e-mail when trying to make simple contact with someone.

Chris, actually you can do that right now!!

The digicel customer email address is the phone number @digitextjm.com

eg. 3831234@digitextjm.com

The key is you have to type the message in the subject line and the entire mail can be no more than 160 characters long.

Collin, thanks for the info. However, it looks like I didn't word my reply clearly because I already knew this I was simply stating that this is one of their features that I like.

I thought you would have wished the reterival of the email to be free also ;D ;D

I use to enjoy this email feature with C&W phones as well, but it just stopped working a couple months ago.

Does anyone know if they have changed the syntax of emailing to a C&W cell phone. If so, what is it?

Well lemme know. Thanks.

[quote author=odsamuels link=board=1;threadid=190;start=0#1236 date=1034398296]
    I use to enjoy this email feature with C&W phones as well, but it just stopped working a couple months ago.

Does anyone know if they have changed the syntax of emailing to a C&W cell phone. If so, what is it?
    [/quote]

When I was at C&W's Horizon 2002 a friend was testing the feature with his C&W phone - didn't work. He tried with a C&W employee's phone - didn't work. Then he tried it with my Digicel phone - got the message within seconds.

I just called C&W and they said that the procedure has changed. The new format is for example 3389991234@mail.cwmobile.com or using 876 as the area code 8769991234@mail.cwmobile.com.

I wonder if Digicel's move to providing free voicemail access was as a result of their "good nature" or if it was because it probably costed them more to store people's voicemail in full mailboxes ;D