Thread: Job Wanted : Programmer or System Admin

Default Job Wanted : Programmer or System Admin

Looking for a job as a Programmer or System Administrator
    Anybody know of any available let me know.

I am a recent graduate U.W.I. August 2k3 with B. Sc. in Computer
    Science

SKilled in the following languages
    Java, C\C++, VB, ML, Scheme, SQL, Prolog

Worked for a year part time as Computer Lab Technician (basically system administrator)
    Duties include maintaining, upgrading and troubleshooting of
    the computer network and all its components.
    Worked with Windows 2000,Windows NT, Linux

Why is getting a job in the I.T. industry so hard?
    Any pointers ?

Default Re: Job Wanted : Programmer or System Admin

Have you linked with the Placement and Career Services department on Campus (behind the book shop)? They can help you get interviews with companies.
    Also, check the papers for job ads every day, and be prepared to take an entry level job, for entry level money until you gain more work experience, and improve your qualifications. Definitely consider doing professional certification - start looking at them now while you have free time.

...Certifications, try getting some of those

Well Droopy, take it from someone who's graduated from the "School of Hard Knocks" with a degree in "Been There, Done That".

Might I also endorse BlackCryptoKnight and Fr0$t_tha_King and add that you're going to have to determine your "career path". IT has a VAST field of choices and determining where to "park" yourself can be a daunting task to say the least.

I'll hinge on programming a bit, since that's what I (now) do as my chosen path. Getting here has meant sacrificing and doing different things over these past 10+ years in the IT arena both in JA and US (US currently).

Now, mind you, your life's experiences will be different, I'm sure. But this principle is a constant: "There is always room for one good man".

By this I mean in today's harsh tech arena, make yourself extremely marketable by arming yourself with the latest knowledge and "tools of the trade".

Just as an example, have a pc at home with versions of Visual Studio 6.0/.NET, Linux, SQL, Oracle, FoxPro, Delphi or whatever you can lay your hands (your choice) that will help you gain the competitive edge. One of your main goals is to stop getting lost in the crowd and coupled with good tutorial books, teach yourself different techniques and concepts based on the project materials covered. Reading will be your best friend, because there'll be plenty of it. The day you stop reading IT material, is the day they plant you. The Web will also be a prefered weapon of choice.

If you can't afford a pc at home, after work (if applicable) stay late and do the above. You just can't roll over and play dead.

No "IT Manna" falls from cyber-heaven here buddy, it's bare-fisted fighting in these mud-filled trenches.

Now in reality, it's not going to happen that come tomorrow you're going to be the next big thing in IT, BUT success happens over time - and maybe a long time. It will probably be a year before you will be comfortable with the technology choice you have selected.

Is it going to be frustrating at times? Oh yeah!
    Will it seem you made a mistake? Oh Yeah!
    Will it mean making less money that you're worth? Oh Yeah!
    Will there be possible intra-career changes? Oh Yeah!
    Will there be tangible rewards, overall? OH YEAH!

I shifted from Sys Admin to hard core coding at age 31 (still young) and have done better now (skill set, not $$) than I was, doing Admin stuff all those years.

Personally, I'm so far removed from doing payroll and recipe data entry in Lotus 1-2-3 v 1A on 51/4 floppies (some ya'll may still remember that) back in the day (10+ yrs) at Johnson's Drive-in on Maxfield to doing hand-held device development on .NET CF targeting CE.NET today in Atlanta (I laugh just looking back).

As with anything in life, just work hard and apply yourself and stand out from the crowd.

What was that we learned as kids: "The heights by great men reached and kept were not obtained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night."

Wow. Pearls of wisdom from the veteran.

I'm encouraged that there's still hope for me to pick up coding ;D

There very well may be hope for you Crypto. Hit me up if you need anymore pearls.

Just keeping it real for the uninitiated among us. ;D