Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax

Default Re:java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax

java version "1.4.1_02"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_02-b06, mixed mode)

what OS and version are you running?

editor - wow, it's been a while still...

...I've long since fixed the error and gone on to build a fully functional Instant messenger that works across the internet in Java...

The only thing missing at the moment is a bashy interface (working on it) and emoticons ;D - maybe I'll get CKnight to help me out with that.

Now all I need are some people who'd be willing to test the application for me from all over the place. I'd host the server on my machine, and people would log onto my IM server and participate IRC style in our own little chatroom. I want to see how well this application holds up under a very broad and highly rugged conditions.

Currently it supports up to 50,000 users simultaneously (not fully tested). Heck, if it's good enough, I might ask Chris if we could implement it on TechJamaica at a later date....

....it's just that I have no idea how I'd implement this with PHP based website....

Mebbe CKnight knows.... 8)

Did you use jabber?

No. All components, including both server and client, were built from scratch. I'm using java interfaces to create my own set of protocols. Nothing XML based like Jabber at all.

Is it setup to be able to operate through a http proxy?

It doesn't seem to matter. Have network? Will Chat. Tried it both over the net and via my proxy @ home. Works both ways. Apparently the JavaSocket class makes use of what ever pipelined connection you have on your PC, regardless of the connectivity. It seems to abstract all the particular network interoperability from the programmer. It even works across a LAN. Like I said, Have network? Will Chat. It works either way.

I built it so that it creates a new thread for every incoming connection. Works beautifully. I'm currently trying to make the interface something more gorgeous than the flat gray that Windows defaults it as. I'm currently using this:

UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAn dFeelClassName());

to default the interface to a Windows one. So I get all the nice buttons, toolbars etc. I'm trying to find out if I can build my own interfece look 'n feel and apply that.

Additionally, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get Emoticons to display. I've figured out how to send them (no biggie). But how to represent them as images escapes me at the moment. The day I figure that out, I'll be a happy man.

But right now, it looks like IRC with an MSN interface. I'll try to do screenshots.

WOW!!!
    What's the advantage of doing it like that? ???
    Curiousity? ???
    Where is the win? ???

With Jabber, it would appear as though I'm going to have to learn all new code to build an IM. This is for learning purposes. So I'm trying to build as much as is humanly possible from scratch. I'm doing pretty damn good so far. I got like 15 people talking simultaneously from different locations quite well while I hosted the server.

Works just like IRC.

You can even configure what port the server listens on. You can finger your clients with a /whois operation just like in IRC. Works beautifully. All built from scratch.

Good deal.
    I take it you teach programming?