Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Programing Made Simple

ruby on rails uhmm, If I had a penny for every new technology that came out I think I could buy a patty! Anyhow I realize that the idustry tends to go with tried and proven technology.. thats why C is still one of the top five used langauges today (TIOBE INDEX) Java has been around for a long time its still going to be around for another decade asp.net is 5 yrs old but still pl write classic asp pages. I dont want to continue but you see where I am going. My point is that its always interesting to read about and use these new technologies but that as far as it goes, our enthusiasm tends to hype these technologies too far, but in truth and fact It will be sometime before they are adopted as industry standards.

Anyhow I'll take a lot at ruby on rails.
    Last edited by leoandru; Nov 19, 2005 at 04:38 PM.

TwistedPair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    ruby on rails uhmm, If I had a penny for every new technology that came out I think I could buy a patty! Anyhow I realize that the idustry tends to go with tried and proven technology.. thats why C is still one of the top five used langauges today (TIOBE INDEX) Java has been around for a long time its still going to be around for another decade asp.net is 5 yrs old but still pl write classic asp pages. I dont want to continue but you see where I am going. My point is that its always interesting to read about and use these new technologies but that as far as it goes, our enthusiasm tends to hype these technologies too far, but in truth and fact It will be sometime before they are adopted as industry standards.

Anyhow I'll take a lot at ruby on rails.
    I know what you mean, afther you invest so much time in learning a langauge are some new standard, they come out with a new "better" must have thing. No where is it more evident and harder to ignore than in web development. Where the way that your scripts, html and css are interpeted could change with the latest version.

Do not know about web programming but I will talk about desktop programming. I did MFC with C++ (>6 years) and then I went to the .Net Framework. Now I sing "More Net, and Bun MFC". C# has better intellisense than C++ (due to how better object oriented the language is structured) and I love intellisense. Now I still view C++ as a powerful language and I reserve it for times when it is better, but the library in .Net is easier and quicker to set up for use. I would appreaciate C# further if I created my custom classes and heirarchy (library).

If I liked web programming then I would have loved Java, but I am more of a desktop person, not necessarily Windows person though.

Forget about my rambling, I tried C# once before, 3 years ago, and I was not impressed. Guess I did not give it the try it deserverd/I was caught up wih C++/I did not want to change/I did not understand C# even though I spent 3 top years in a rich environment of C++ and MFC, oh, and google. If I dont feel it then it is just rambling.

.Net is marketable more than C++, so learning it is good.

The internet is always a common platform for developement. Since I can afford 1 copy of Windows then I will use ASP.net and connect with it. Actually I would buy VC# Express even if they were giving it away free, can not say the same about windows. I do research development and I need a friendly user interface and not necessarily a secured one, as yet anyway, til I go into bussiness management or nuclear physics

It does not matter how you reach there as long as you reach there - The internet. PHP, yada, yada, yada, .Net, it's all good True?!.

Now C# and VB.Net are really close. Minus little subtle differences, they both end up using the .Net Framework. I saw somewhere that C# has a little edge but I didnot believe that too much.
    Last edited by crosswire; Nov 19, 2005 at 11:06 PM.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Well yeah but the thing with It that we all should strive for is not necessarily want to see a replacement to our language of preference but also keep an open eye out for other things for example one time we all had cassettes what would happen if we refused to try or even learn about cd’s see ruby on rails or these new languages cant replace the old one that we use everyday well not for us because its what we like but they more than likely will bring to the picture more integral tools in making development easier for example look at asp and asp.net didn’t asp.net make doing some things easier but as leoandru that doesn’t mean they’ll be industry standard. What I am getting at is seeing that we are already in the industry why not glance at the new trends

I just looked at Ruby on Rails. I think any serious web application developer (at least those who use PHP/Java) should investigate. I was able to develop a web application in less than 15 mins and I don't know PHP! Creating web applications was never easier.
    Ruby is an object-oriented programming language while Rails is a framework used to develop web-based applications with a database backend. I don't think its a panacea for web-based database applications but trust me you'll be pleased with what it can do. And most of all - no configurations!

I'll be going through some more examples to get a better feel of it.
    OS X/Ubuntu

used ruby before its pretty good stuff. you should take a look at prado its sorta similar. its more of an oop approach to webdevelopment

Default merging design strategies

well in a few months you can kiss winforms goodbye.

if you plan on programming for the windows platform, you will interested to know that WinFX the next generation of windows programming library uses xml for User Interface description.

sounds like somebody trying to force asp.net on us.
    anyway if we all developed web programs like windows programs, and windows programs like web programs , it means we only learn one way... which is simpler.

how did this reach here? i dont know, just thought you guys should kow that Ruby on Rims might not necessarily do that.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

Ruby on Rails is pretty cool.
    If you want a brief video introduction to some of the modern <emotive language>(post php)</emotive language> web frameworks you can check
    watch this video: http://oodt.jpl.nasa.gov/better-web-app.mov (380 MB)

It gives a good overview of Ruby on Rails, Django, Turbo Gears, Plone etc...

Judge for yourself
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

I love C caan done. I like the vb.net though cuz of the timeframe you can have an up and working application. I just started looking at PHP since week and i like it so far cuz it's a child of the C language. The only thing that would improve the PHP language is if they worked out all the bug and redundancies that exist.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

Quote Originally Posted by psybuck2002us
    I love C caan done. I like the vb.net though cuz of the timeframe you can have an up and working application. I just started looking at PHP since week and i like it so far cuz it's a child of the C language. The only thing that would improve the PHP language is if they worked out all the bug and redundancies that exist.
    bug? redundancies ?