Thread: ASP.Net Challenge #2

Default ASP.Net Challenge #2

Design a web application.

You are developing and hosting a web test for grade 3 students, possibly at the location http://localhost:_port/MathematicsTest.aspx . The test should look like this:
    Question 1
    If 24 plus a number is 48, what is the number?

[Text input field] [Enter Button]
    [Marking label]
    [Got to previous question Button] [Got to next question Button]
    Try to keep the format as close as possible as shown above. If the student enters an answer and clicks the submit button or presses enter on the keyboard, then the [Marking label] becomes, after evaluation of the answer, as follows:
    Correct answer --> Yes you are correct
    Wrong answer which is smaller than the correct answer --> Ooops! The number is too small
    Wrong answer which is larger than the correct answer --> Ooops! The number is too big
    An empty answer --> Enter your answer above
    An answer which is not a number --> Ooops! That is not a number.

Every time the page loads, the focus should be on the [text input field] i.e. the caret or ‘typing cursor’ is ready for use by the student.

When the [next question button] is pressed, the value of 24 and 48 should randomly change to new numbers. These two numbers are always positive and between the range 10 and 50. The first number is always smaller than the second. The url should remain the same but Question 1 should change to Question 2 and so on until the last question. By changing one number in your code you should be able to change the total number of questions in the test. Use 10 for this total. The first question should have the [previous button] disabled or hidden and the last question should have the [next button] changed to [Finish Test button].

The text in the [text input field] is only cleared when the student moves from one question to the next question, and not while trying different answers for the same question. If he moves on from a question after getting it wrong, his wrong answer should not be remember, only that he got question N wrong. It should be remembered also that he gets Question M right. Even though each question is randomly generated, if the student uses the [previous button], then he should see the previous question as it was, with any correct answers that he entered.

If [Finish Test button] is pressed, use a java script alert to show the student how many questions were answered correctly.

If the student comes back to the test again, then he gets new questions. A cookie is use to record each visit, every first timers should get the same questions in the test. So seed the random generator according to the cookie value.

If you use php, or another language, to answer this question then you should just keep only the basic functionality of the test.
    Last edited by crosswire; Nov 18, 2005 at 12:48 AM.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

After ponder the solution a little, I realling that I stepped in some goo. This problem would be better of in JavaScript client side handling.
    Any comments?

JavaScript would be trickier when generating new question pages.

also the "So seed the random generator according to the cookie value." is not going to make the firsttimes get the same questions. because in actuality it IS A RANDOM NUMBER GENERATER. even if the seed is the same.

But its is DOABLE and well explained. Asp.Net isn't a bad choice.

Thanks for the tip . I am better acustomed to the random algorithm in C and not in java or .Net.

One more correction: Query strings can be used in the url as long as the same page processes all requests. The url should remain the same This should allow more flexibilty in the design

I have a solution in development on one of the computers at work. I hope to finish it this week.