Thread: Political parties' plan for IT in Ja

Default Political parties' plan for IT in Ja

What do you guys think of the PNP's & JLP's plans for IT in Jamaica?

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news2.html

What I find interesting is that the Gleaner article is captioned "What the PNP hopes to do in IT", yet the article includes plans from both the PNP AND the JLP as well ??? Go figure :-\

Default Re:Political parties' plan for IT in Ja

??? Question is - what have they done so far? - dont mean to sound biter - but prisoners get pcs & internet access free - we got an I.T. :-\ firm which was a call centre - we know what happened there - most of the well designed webpages of Jamaica are owned designed and managed by an individual probably with the aid of friends who the government pays little or no attention to - so far they have created a course which has benefited many but like any system you'll have people who pass through it with no work - and just like that - they are certified - question is - where are they now? - as it is called - politics - if you dont know people in high places - you get what the duck got.

Plans upon plans - the glory of self recognition - "what i'm going to do - what i've done - who has benefited because of me" - but yet - how proud are we of what has been done so far? - I surely know that I had purchased the parts for my computer - I purchased the software - like many other people - whatever little the government pays out of it is covered by taxes which are not well spent anyway - how does it matter what the government does for I.T. - do you think whats being done will benefit you - or is it just another promise from the apathetic lips of a power yearning human being? - what next?

:-X

Sorry for the long post...... :

[quote author=Chris link=board=1;threadid=180;start=0#1117 date=1033598791]
    What I find interesting is that the Gleaner article is captioned "What the PNP hopes to do in IT", yet the article includes plans from both the PNP AND the JLP as well ??? Go figure :-\
    [/quote]

Chris,

In all fairness to the Gleaner, the printed edition has the articles side by side under different captions : What the PNP hopes to do in IT and the other The JLP's plan for Information technology.

Otherwise looking at what the articles reported the PNP would seem to have some specific goals whereas the JLP has some plans to do things. What do I mean? the PNP has put forwarded what are the acheivables the JLP plans to do research and encourage and promote but names very few end products.

Call centres which are classed as IT firms seem to exist in both plans as one of the JLP's plan is to "attract joint ventures to build more IT digiports to develop Jamaica as a leading IT operator" .... one would have hoped that they learnt from the PNP in that regards as what constitutes an IT firm and what does not!

Then again what really does constitute IT and how exactly is a call center classified?

[quote author=Collin link=board=1;threadid=180;start=0#1120 date=1033603231]Chris,

In all fairness to the Gleaner, the printed edition has the articles side by side under different captions : What the PNP hopes to do in IT and the other The JLP's plan for Information technology.[/quote]

Collin, thanks for pointing this out to me because I'm yet to see the printed article :-[ I guess I'm living too much in cyber space. For a moment there I was beginning to feel like Mel Gibson in "Conspiracy Theory" ;D

There may be a "conspiracy theory" after all? ... the conspiracy of the "IT firms a.k.a. call centres" :-X

edited my post..... [above]

The majr benefit I woudl love to see... irespective of which party forms the next Govt. ... is an explosion in the amount of entities taken serious interest and spending within the IT sector .. all components of it. Not some untangible benefits that really benefits no one.

How much as us can afford at this point to out and form our own companies to do what we know we can to advance the county's development? Where will the backing come from?