Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convert to .pdf

@wild_willy: zSo it is more user friendly?
    How does having to d/load a 16Mb file on a 56k line @ say 1.5hrs just to view a document that could have just as easily been created in word or html be user friendly?

And who says that I want any document that I create/modify to carry a stamp containing info saying that I modified it?

DOWN WITH PDF!!
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

TwistedPair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat
    @wild_willy: zSo it is more user friendly?
    How does having to d/load a 16Mb file on a 56k line @ say 1.5hrs just to view a document that could have just as easily been created in word or html be user friendly?

And who says that I want any document that I create/modify to carry a stamp containing info saying that I modified it?

DOWN WITH PDF!!
    The problem with word is that not everybody has it or the same version so you will have problems. You may expose yourself to a macro virus and you can't ensure the user will see the document the way you intended. You also don't want an editable document floating around with your company letterhead.

PDF is designed mainly for print and that’s where it shines, A nicely laid out webpage won't print so well in most case or at least not look like a professional document so its not used in cases where print presentation is important.
    Last edited by TwistedPair; Nov 14, 2005 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair
    The problem with word is that not everybody has it or the same version so you will have problems.
    Not a good point, more ppl have Word than Acrobat Reader
    You also don't want an editable document floating around with your company letterhead.
    good point, this is a very good feature of a .pdf file
    PDF is designed mainly for print and that’s where it shines, A nicely laid out webpage won't print so well in most case or at least not look like a professional document so its not used in cases where print presentation is important.
    true
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

There is one other point: Some fonts may not be available on the client's computer, so the effect of the font's style, placement and size will be transferred over to the document. Also, it will work from one platform to another without purchasing any software (the reader is free to download). This will save you from purchasing software you may not have, and looking around the net for additional fonts to bog down your system.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

case isn't if everyone has Word, it's which version! Some features from a newer version of Word will break in the older version.
    Don't see that happening with PDF.
    But it's true that PDF is huge and uses lots of RAM. That's because PDF actually contains the Postcript programming language which is used to layout the objects.

PDF also makes a perfect print preview feature. Anyway it looks on screen is how it will print. with 98se and an hp840c, i compiled this software name Free PDF v.95. It made a psuedo printer on the system that was usable by any app (except Software602 if i remember correctly).

Perfect print preview.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 14, 2005 at 08:44 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

@cyber

I guess it all comes down to choice man... some ppl rather download a PDF because the format is clean and it can't be easily modified by the casual computer user
    Master Yoda:"Strong with the force TechJamaica is"

Yes, but how many websites offer us that choice? More and more websites/companies are offering help manuals etc only in pdf format. now who wants to print say hundreds of pages just to have a hard copy of a manual? And isn't it ilegal to print most pdf's from the web anyway?

Why should we use Acrobat reader or any other app if it is such a resource hog? Most of us don't like it when companies charge us thoudands or even hundreds in hidden fees.

So how much of a choice do we really have when it is "get acrobat reader or get out!"?

BTW, I have nothing against Adobe (I think Photoshop is the best.)
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat
    Now who wants to print say hundreds of pages just to have a hard copy of a manual? And isn't it ilegal to print most pdf's from the web anyway?
    Yeah. Companies figured this out years ago; "Why should WE spend the money to print and bind manuals when very few people read them anyway" On the upside, being able to view a product manual before you make a purchase can be a godsend.

I'm not sure where you get that it is ilegal to print most pdf's from the web. There is infrastructure in the PDF format to prevent printing if the author so desires but with the exception of maybe some e-books, printing is fine and in most cases encouraged.

Why should we use Acrobat reader or any other app if it is such a resource hog?
    Now this I can agree with. Over the years the PDF viewers from Adobe have gotten worse in this respect. The worst was version 6; buggy, slow and large. The latest is still larger than I would like but at least it is better than version 6 *shudder*.

So how much of a choice do we really have when it is "get acrobat reader or get out!"?
    The PDF format while penned by Adobe is an open standard. Anyone is free to write a viewer for it but since Adobe already makes one for just every platform out there, I guess few see the point. PDF authoring tools are where you get some competition.
    Last edited by Goucham; Nov 16, 2005 at 08:58 AM.

Adobe Reader 7 is much less a resource hog than previous versions. Although it is still a large download.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

There is a reader called Foxit PDF Reader. While compressed it uses about 80% of the diskette (ez to transfer). It is fast and full of features. Only problem noticed is the amount of memory that it uses, especially when printing. Still to determine if the reason for this hogging is the fact that the network printer is kept offline.