Thread: .NET and Wi-Fi Programming in JA

Default .NET and Wi-Fi Programming in JA

Does anyone have any idea about how the new .NET technology is impacting or making any inroads into "our" JA community?

What about Wi-Fi technology? Any hotspots being rolled-out or planned?

Any good cases or horror stories out there in the trenches?

Personally, I find C# (my weapon of choice), a powerful tool for developing device, web, desktop apps and XML services.

I've been developing wireless WinForm apps for the Web Tablet http://www.dtresearch.com, targetting the CE.NET 4.x platform http://www.microsoft.com/windows/emb...et/default.asp for a year or so now. This is awsome stuff!

This is leaps and bounds above and beyond what I was doing years ago in classic .ASP/VB

The business potential could be tremendous for JA, if introduced.

Any thoughts?

igodit Guest

Default Re:.NET and Wi-Fi Programming in JA

Well DigitHead, I know of one company locally using .NET in it's development. So there has been some impact can't say how great it is islandwide, how many development houses locally are using Microsoft Technology?

Regarding the WiFi hotspots, there are hotspots especially around New Kingston. BUT they are not for public access.

Personally I think if WiFi hotspots were to be implimented especially in business areas it would be an alternative to the expensive GPRS service being offered and more profitable. That's a business idea to run with.

Stick around, coming soon to a hotspot near you, WiFiWare: The Next Big Thing!

igodit Guest

Enlighten us DigitHead... what is WiFiware

It's a suite of apps that are developed for the wireless segment of the computing public.

The plan is to roll-out public hotspots in JA and bring the Internet everywhere, where enough participation from businesses is feasible.

The first app is built for displaying rich media content (the Flash animation on some websites) on Plasma, LCD or TV displays via a PC connected to the Internet in a hotspot location. This is strictly for advertising, no user interaction.

This will also be installed on Internet kiosks where users can walk up to a kiosk and use the Internet on a pay-as-you-go basis. The same ads will also be on these devices.

Which brings me to the second app which is software designed to run on tablet PCs and kiosks, which allows members of the public that do not own laptops or PDAs to use the Internet for a fee in a hotspot location like a hotel, business center, airport, bookstore, etc.

It's really all about engaging the end-user community, ramping up on awareness and bridging once disparate technologies using the ubiquity of the Internet.

All this software will be managed on the back-end using management portals, accessible from any browser.

It's a big bite, but feasible, if the right infrastructure is in place.

Business community participation is going to be key, to allow a reasonable price point to achieved and anyone within reason is included.

From what I've seen in JA, now is as good a time as any to roll all this out.

I hope this has helped somewhat.