Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Disk Quota

Default Re:Linux Disk Quota

I am currently doing a fresh installation using ext3 to see if it works off the bat. I will let you know what happens.

I have no facts, links or other documenatation to back this - this is pure trial and error a number of time.

When I install with a straight ext3 filesystem I get an error that none of my filesystems support quota.
    "No filesystems with quota detected"

So I edited /etc/fstab to demote a filesystem to ext2 with quotas enabled. run the following command e2fsck -fy /dev/hdXX.Then rebooted the mahine.

Then I converted the existing ext2 with quota to ext3, that works fine.

I don't see why it shouldn't work straight with ext3 filesystem. So it's either me or it can't be done.

Has anyone ever done this before, please advise.

Hmmm... seems strange that it didn't work right away. of course even if it ext3 you still need the usrquota option in the fstab for it to work, was it there when you first tried it? did you remember to remount the filesystem before trying the webmin tool? What does the line for that filesystem say in the fstab?

It would be good to say what distro:version you are using.
    Let me assume that you are using redhat.
    http://www.europe.redhat.com/documen...WTO/Quota.php3

[quote author=matronyx link=board=8;threadid=1711;start=0#msg18106 date=1063813020]
    It would be good to say what distro:version you are using.
    Let me assume that you are using redhat.
    http://www.europe.redhat.com/documen...WTO/Quota.php3

[/quote]
    You assume correctly or you read the previous posts. ;D
    This documetation only spoke about ext2 filesystems, we are asking if it can be done with ext3 filesystems.

Bulmer,
    Did you get a response from that email?

I am going to make another effort at doing a straight ext3 installation on a test machine later this week, will let you know the outcome.

Peace.

I got a reply from the author, he said he has updated it, but hasn't uploaded it yet. But he does concur that ext3 is supported. He actually replied a week ago, but I'm on vacation (sorta) so have been slack in checking my email (slacker than usual, that is).

Bulmer,

Got it to work straight with an EXT3 filesystem. Don't know why the other one did and still will not work on the machine.

[quote author=bulmer link=board=8;threadid=1711;start=0#msg17367 date=1063211725]
    I'd assume that the redhat would compile in quota support, at least as a module. Type "ls /proc/sys/fs" and see if quota is listed.
    [/quote]

Yes this is there but on a new box I am installing using Redhat 9.0 kernel 2.4.20-8, I am getting an error that no Quota FIlesystem Exists

I used quotacheck -avucgm and it worked.

Peace