Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTS vs FPS...Which do you prefer and why?

Default RTS vs FPS...Which do you prefer and why?

Though I'm a newbie to this forum, I concider myself an aged and well experienced pc gamer :. Like most youngsters, a great deal of my gaming existence revolved around the most popular (and admittedly, revolutionary :-X) games such as Doom I, II, Quake, Return to Castle Wolfenstien ect. . All was well in the world untill I found a little game called Starcraft, and my whole gaming life was fliped upsidedown and its been wonderous ever since ;D. Real Time Simulation is what gaming should be, less reflexes and more noggin. But, please, tell me what you like and why and we will agree to disagree.

My life for Nazul.... :P

Default Re:RTS vs FPS...Which do you prefer and why?

[quote author=TerakiN link=board=11;threadid=1704;start=0#msg16519 date=1062466402]
    My life for Nazul.... :P
    [/quote]

Hope you're not quoting a Zealot here bub.. cause you're kinda off...

I have a mix of RTS and FPS... for those new to gaminf terminology:

RTS = Real Time Strategy
    FPS = First Person Shooter

Counter-Strike and the like make up most of my FPS life... can't tell the last time I played a single player game... wait.. yes i can.. it's a toss up between Half-Life and Oni*.. TWO OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER!!! ...

Then Starcraft is the grand-daddy of RTS so that's what I play... figure if I can crush you there i can crush you on all he lookalikes! ;D

One thing I do know.... I WILL be playing single player games again by the end of this year andinto the next with Half-Life 2 and Starcaft Ghost (delayed till next year :'( ) coming up!

*Oni is the game that started the punch and shoot craze that developers went wild on.. based around a loosley put together japanime centric story you go around as a girl learning fighting manuevers as you play... you decide how to kill enemies... with fists of fury... or the full metal jacket... check out Starcarft Ghost for MANY of the moves Oni had... almost like they ripped the animated sequences

Interesting your views on Gaming Terakin.

Welcome to Techjamaica, It Nice to see you posting.

Counter Strike and Black Hawk Down are excellent First person shooters..

Unreal....Not bad either

RTS games make good multiplayer games as well......but usually takes a longer time for serious action to develop (In comparison to a FPS).

Red Alert 2 , Star Craft and Battle Realms are some just to name a few....

All in all, to compare the two will all depend on the group that you are playing with and the vibes they carry.

Driving sims are good on networks as well. ;D

[quote author=GodKid link=board=11;threadid=1704;start=0#msg16530 date=1062494375]
    Hope you're not quoting a Zealot here bub.. cause you're kinda off...
    [/quote]

I dont think he is qouting a zealot but more a corsair. I am not sure if thats actually wat the corsair says but if it is. then finally i know wat he says.
    Its nice to know that more people than just i still play starcraft... even though it is over 6 years old. And its for the simple reason that this is probably one of the best RTS game ever created. And i say this putting starcraft over even such a great game as warcraft 3, which i may add was very cool but to me not as cool as starcraft.
    I am really in the middle when it comes to RTS vs FPS games becuz i like a whole lotta FPS's but i also love to battle people in RTS games. For me it has been. C-strike Half Life, UT, UT2k3, Ghost recon... a whole lotta Fps's and as for RTS its mainly just starcraft and warcraft.

If anybody wants to have a modem battle over starcraft broodwars den u can just link me still wid u fone number. i cant play till satday still since school start again but mi will play u.
    BTW terrans rule!!!

[quote author=GodKid link=board=11;threadid=1704;start=0#msg16530 date=1062494375]
    Then Starcraft is the grand-daddy of RTS .......
    [/quote]

- Not quite mon ami. Command & Conquer is the grandfather of all RTS games. It was Command & Conquer that invented the genre.

Starcraft, like Doom, Quake & RTCW for FPS games, merely re-defined the genre.

Hi again ladies and gents, on the lighter side, that quote was from an undead unit in warcraft 3, for the gent who wanted to know what the corsair says:

Big Talk:

1. "It is a good day to die"
    2. "Ready for battle"
    3. "I stand ready"
    4. "aww, at last"
    (Yes, I live Protoss)

Now on to serious busniess, thaks for your posts and please keep them coming on this topic. Another reason why RTS are so appealing is how it enhances your management skills. In Starcraft Broodwars for example, a major factor to winning is your economy. if there is no money, there cannt be any troops...your gonna die.

Some time ago I was online looking for strats for Protoss and found a site of korean professional crafters. How these guys play is out of this world.

http://starcraft.cimox.net/starcraft...s/vod_zerg.asp

And for the gent who wants a bit of terran vs toss tussle, link me and we'll make it happen.

warp field stableised..... ;D

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=11;threadid=1704;start=0#msg16623 date=1062551495]
    - Not quite mon ami. Command & Conquer is the grandfather of all RTS games. It was Command & Conquer that invented the genre.

Starcraft, like Doom, Quake & RTCW for FPS games, merely re-defined the genre.
    [/quote]

I agree totally X .. and fact is the starcraft boys weren't exactly original either.. their story was just better!

Grand-Daddy not in the sense of starting.. but more like the big pimip!

Why did i think Terakin was a terran user and not a protoss user (i thought terakin was Terran king or something like that oh well) hm... this should be fun. As i said before not till like weekend though. But i am willing to take on the challenge.

[quote author=TerakiN link=board=11;threadid=1704;start=0#msg16626 date=1062551887]

http://starcraft.cimox.net/starcraft...s/vod_zerg.asp
    [/quote]

I bet that site woulda well hype if it was in english... i hate translating to spanish my yute, it tek too long

TerakiN, are you bilingual?