Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving files between 2 PCs

Default Moving files between 2 PCs

What is the simplest way to move files from a Win 98 PC to a Win XP Home PC? Neither have NICs (of course). I have an idea of what will work, but would like to see if there is an easier solution.

Any suggestions?

Default Re:Moving files between 2 PCs

Set up a serial connection and dail in.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=1;threadid=170;start=0#1035 date=1033395626]
    Set up a serial connection and dail in.
    [/quote]

Elobarating a bit.....
    First off you need a special type of serial cable ...Laplink cable( 9 pin male connector both ends)....connected to both Pcs(about 15 feet apart).....

On the windows XP machine Goto Network Connections -->Create New Connection -->Then choose connect directly to another computer........
    From there follow the wizard which is pretty straight forward.....
    You answer some questions such as host and guest PC....
    Then configure 98 machine as guest to dial in to XP machine....

Transfer speed for Serial port Laplink cable is 0.4 mbps...ie approx 3 hours to transfer 500mb of data....

As I suspected, some sort of serial to serial connection would do it. Is there a USB version to this solution?

I just did a preliminary check with a Win2K PC and I didn't see a USB option, only serial and parallel ports, so I guess USB is out of the picture.

I am glad this came up. I had this same issue some weeks ago. Instead of using the serial cable I went with the parallel cable because its much faster at 4.0Mbps.

I purchased this spacial cable at inovative systems at sovereign in liguanea. These laplink cables are not the regular straight through parallel and serial cables. So go to this store or any other and ask for a parallel port laplink cable.

1. Conncet the cable on both PCs

2. firstly both PCs have to be software configured.
    one as guest the other as host, You choose.

On the 98 Machine

Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications->direct cable connection.

follow the wizard from here.

On the XP machine

Start->programs->Accessories->Commaunications->New connection Wizard. Select the last option: Setup advanced connection.

follow the wizard from here.

Now find out the IP addreess of both machines and use microsoft netmeeting that comes with 98 and XP. If you have never used netmeeting before you have to play around with it to learn more. Type the IP address of one machine on the other in the netmeeting address bar to call the machine. make sure you are near the machine you are calling to answer the call. when you do, both machines are now connected. Use the file transfer feature in netmeeting to transfer files between machines.

If I'm not mistaken, you should also be able to use Windows Explorer to transfer the files. Am I correct?

Ones you have established the connection between the two comps yes you should be able to navigate them using explorer.

can I ask whats the cost for one of these cables ?

Cables should not cost more than $500 a peice, if that much probaly closer to $250