Thread: Where on the North Coast will distros be available?

Default Where on the North Coast will distros be available?

Most Linux's activities are in Kingston. Are there people on the North Coast (Ocho Rios, St. Ann's Bay, Exchange, Runaway Bay, et cetera) with distros?

Default Re:Where on the North Coast will distros be available?

A friend of mine is in Ocho Rios and will have Mandrake 8.2 avai;able within the next week. He will then arrange for this distro to be available through a computer store in the area......Keep watching for updates.

Distros are made available through the JALUG (Jamaica Linux Users Group) (978-8558 ask for Valerie) or join discussion at jalug@coollist.com

-donavon

Can you say 'TARA'.

$250 - Shipping
    $50 - Pickup
    $50 - Delivery

Computer Central Plus
    2 Gully Road
    St. Ann's Bay
    St. Ann

Telephone: (to be applied later) :-\

computercentralplus@msn.com

Will they have the full packages for sale or the downloaded and burned copies?

Also, which distro are you interested in?

Well at the moment he only has the downloaded and burned copies. But you know that if there is an opportunity there will be options.

Some techies still see Linux distros as too advanced for novices (like me), so he is being a little cautious in investing.

The one that he currently has is Mandrake 8.2. However, he has broadband and may be able to get others in a moments notice.

Oh and Linval is the man I'm talking about. He is a member here.

As for me, I would use RH or Mandrake.... not Lindows, Slackware, Gentoo, or those other complexities. The GUI is my place and not the terminal. :

newtoo? -- I think the downloaded & burned copies is the way to go for now. This way, the $$ involved (for both supplier & customer) is minimal and acts as a plus when considering Linux. If someone subsequently needs reading material they can get one of the many Linux books on the market which may actually provide more user-friendly info than the distro manuals.

Linval -- let's hear more about your Linux distribution and other efforts on the North Coast. We need to hear more about what's happening in places other than Kingston ;D