Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing OpenLDAP 2.1.x

Default Re:Installing OpenLDAP 2.1.x

I tend to find that understanding the meaning of the attribute types is an important step to understanding LDAP [of anytype openldap or other] , you can find some of these below:

CN commonName
    L localityName
    ST stateOrProvinceName
    O organizationName
    OU organizationalUnitName
    C countryName
    STREET streetAddress
    DC domainComponent
    UID userid
           DN Distinguished Name

[quote author=Kbee link=board=8;threadid=1696;start=0#msg16567 date=1062524734]
    Well there are two ways one is to use ldapdelete which takes the common name of the entry and the two domain components eg:
    ldapdelete cn=kurt.palmer dc=advance dc=net
    [/quote]

I hope that you were able to realize my error above before you tried to use it, the fix is simple, just do the following :
    ldapdelete "cn=kurt.palmer, dc=advance, dc=net"

It is obvious that i needed to seperate the attributes with ',' and place the entry needed in double quotes (" &quot

Jamrock,

I have finally connected to my Linux LDAP server from windows client. I am not sure of the reason but I think it was self inflicted.

I am currently adding names to my database.

How can all the members of a "group" from my mail client? Suppose I want to send a message to every one in Department defined by:

dn: dc=Deaprtment,dc=domain,dc=com
    objectClass: OrganizationalUnit
    ou: Department

Or suppose I want to send mail to all the users in the domain?

I have finally connected to my Linux LDAP server from windows client.
    Great!!. I guess that means that you can use Outlook to look up for user's email addresses, telephone extensions, departments, etc. 8)

Have a look at the course outline. The section on Outlook will tell you which LDAP attributes are recognized by Outlook. Feel free to experiment by importing other attribututes into the ldap database.

How can all the members of a "group" from my mail client? Suppose I want to send a message to every one in Department defined by:
    Qmail with LDAP has a group mail feature. It allows you to assign users to a group. This group value is an attribute just like mail or uid or any other LDAP attribute. The qmail specific attributes are defined in the qmail schema and can only be imported into your LDAP database if you include the qmail schema in the slapd.conf file.

Or suppose I want to send mail to all the users in the domain
    Good question. Not too sure. I will find out.

Note that standard qmail and qmail with LDAP have a mailing list programme called Ezmlm. Users can set up their own mailing lists and send mail to the members of the list.

We will touch on these features when JALUG does the session on qmail.

I just had a look at the documentation on the group functionality. It appears to be able to send a list to all users in the database.

You can use filter criteria such as mail=*@mydomain.com.

You could therefore set up the group called everyone and set "mail=*@mydomain.com" as the filter. It would run through the database and send the mail to every entry that has that value for the mail attribute. 8)

You must be very careful not to create loops when setting this up.

I am not sure how to do the filters, however, I guess I will get there soon. I have been searching for GUI tools that will assist in maintaining the database. Here is one that I am evaluating.

http://www.ldapadministrator.com/

A more elegant method to deal with this is not to remove the old BDB but to compile and install BDB in /usr/local then use and then set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or the path in ld.so.conf [and resync the with ldconfig]
    I have found another way to do this. As Tech_Guru found out, the latest version of OpenLDAP uses BDB by default. I searched the mailing list and found this solution.

Download and install the BDB as stated by Kbee. Then use the following command to configure LDAP. The command tells LDAP where to look for the BDB files.

env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include \
    LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1./lib \
    ./configure

Make sure to leave a space after each "\" at the end of each line.

This allows programmes to use the old BDB they require while allowing OpenLDAP to use the latest version. ;D

The manual gives a little info. on this. See section 4.3 "Running Configure" in the OpenLDAP 2.1 Administrator's Guide.
    http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21/...ite%20software

igodit Guest

Running OpenLDAP on SuSE Linux

Are there any other users that have installed OpenLDAP on SuSE Linux. I recently installed it on a test linux box at work.

I got info from PF on starting the service by using the command

/etc/init.d/ldap start

I have downloaded LDAP Adminisrtator and installed it on my Windows machine andusign Putty to administer the Linux box from Windows.

What do I do now?

After this you need to configure LDAP Administrator to connect to the LDAP server on SuSE. I have it running on Redhat but I don't think it makes a differenc. Supply the IP address, the base entry point to the database, and the User under the credentials tabpage, it is suppose to be the manager setting in the database.

LDAP Administrator also has an online manual, there is a link on the windows program bar.

When that's done, jsut use the tool to add, remove objects (users). You may also want to create templates which will significantly reduce the work.

Godspeed