Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ajax, who's using it?

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE
    Yeah good read what he says makes a lot of sense. especially the part about copying and using urls and the using the back button.

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE
    I started replying to this and it got longer and longer so it was moved:
    http://karlmorris.blogspot.com/2005/...interject.html
    -I didn't spel chek.
    The stuff I do

I've been using it for a while to send client-side values to server-side for processing. That's tight stuff right there boy!

Dah bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Yeah good read what he says makes a lot of sense. especially the part about copying and using urls and the using the back button.
    Ajax done bad is bad, ajax done well now that is an entirely different matter. Can ajax be done good? Just check out gmail or google maps. AJAX certainly enhances both applications.

Ajax touches upon a new concept and that is your web browser as a true application client or closer to that then ever before.

As with everything, there is a time to use it and a time when its not needed. But generally I think if you are creating an application, or a web component that a user will most likely use for and extended period of time. Then ajax can certainly make things interesting.

Ajax can also be used in very small ways, as i forementioned, maybe just to create a small widget.

Ajax didnt have potential, M$ wouldnt be creating Atlas

And all the short comings mentioned in that piece can be overcome depending on your intent. Trust me when I say javascript is a very powerful language. I however think that AJAX demands a different approach to web application development.
    Last edited by alexdevmaster; Feb 8, 2006 at 03:57 PM.

I'm using it. Mostly tinkering at the moment, but we've rolled out sites with ajax tinsel already
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org