Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sobig F Worm

Default Sobig F Worm

Friend of mine sent me this a while ago http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/sec...le.php/3066311

Thought I would give you guys the heads up.......

As usual check www.sarc.com for additional details..........

Default Re:Sobig F Worm

Remember now kids; when ever you get an attachment in your e-mail you should always open it not open it...

I must admit... it was interesting browsing SARC website last night. The number of worms released since Blaster and the mode of action of all new worms.

What I found interesting, was that for most of them, their chief mode of action was the their remarkable ability to copy themselves using their own programing engines and carry out various functions. There were a couple that was said to now PARADE through the FILE SHARING networks like KAZAA and IMESH. What that particular worm did was to read for the most popular downloads, copy itself and lets it copy now emulate the download, while the original continues to parade through the network. So things like windows xp key gen.exe, matrix reloaded.exe and so on are dangerous.

CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO ON THOSE NETWORKS....

There was another which, if I didn't read it on SARC I would have been caught by it. This worm comes in an email that will appear to come from support@microsoft.com (click here to see for yourself.)

This has been one heckuva week. Worm Week even.
    How many of you all have been given the SoBig slap?
    I have never seen so many bug infested emails in my life.

There were a couple that was said to now PARADE through the FILE SHARING networks like KAZAA and IMESH. What that particular worm did was to read for the most popular downloads, copy itself and lets it copy now emulate the download, while the original continues to parade through the network. So things like windows xp key gen.exe, matrix reloaded.exe and so on are dangerous.
    I have always maintained that downloading stuff from Kazaa, etc. is very dangerous. So often I go into offices and see Kazaa icons on the desktop of the administrators. This just freaks me out. They are the ones that should be ensuring that no-one uses Kazaa.

The other day someone offered me a copy of Microsoft Visio which he had downloaded from Kazaa. I politely declined.

This worm thing is getting from bad to worse. The thing with my PC is that I don't get the messages with the attachments and stuff. I get the "Returned Mail" messages daily, by the dozen, all from email servers saying the mail came from my address to an address I have never seen in my life (much less out of my address book), with no info on the origination SMTP server. all saying some worm or the other was detected. I have done full system scans, read up on each worm that the messages said I had, no trace of any virus like activity on my PC, zero.

Then I read these messages are actually used to propogate the virus, by getting ppl to open the attachment marked details, or the message that was returned, or even w/out user intervention with code that runs as soon as the damn message is downloaded.

This is getting really annoying, everyday is soemthing new. I'm not infected, yet I still suffer... where will it stop

yeah ... i am getting dozens per day too .. both of the kind saying (1) 'i' tried to send an attachment with an infected virus or (2) with the actual virus attached. this thing is on another level now.

yeah ... i am getting dozens per day too .. both of the kind saying (1) 'i' tried to send an attachment with an infected virus or (2) with the actual virus attached. this thing is on another level now.
    This is proving to be a test for mail servers. Some have been buckling under the load. I have read posts by admins complaining that email traffic has increased by thousands of messages per day.

Interestingly enough, this is an equal opportunity worm. It will cause you grief whether you use Windows or Linux. The Linux people can't be so smug on this one ;D.

have you people heard of this Stinger program Macfee has? it can detect and remove about 30 of the latest viruses

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/