Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: )(WarDriving 2003

Default Re:)(WarDriving 2003

Whats the latest on this Contest???

igodit Guest

Well Tech_Guru, I think we need to have more interest created for a War Drive. Guess some of these Techjamaicans aren't as hardcore as we thought.

Come on dude...........It just needs a spark from the few intrested individuals firstly.............Then upon seeing the Enthuasim of "The Few Good Men" others will join............. Sure classical psychology scholars have a term for this trait.......

Dont tell me you cancelled

igodit Guest

No, what I may have to is run a war drive with who ever wants to join.

Did some wardriving recently and came up with just about 8 WEP will the other 30 were not encrypted right here in Kingston. Guess the price wasnt right for the contest huh. Used a dell machine backed up with my toshiba 750.

igodit Guest

I guess it was not Turbo, but hey if you want to link up we can share some info on the subject. Got some books on building some of theses things.

Not a hard core war driver, i was using my toshiba e750 and for the actual process I was using my Dell laptop with linksys wireless G Notebook adaptor 2.4 Ghz 54g and Net stumbler and also a Garmin GPS to log the coordinates. It worked ok. I guess with all the hi tech antenna you got get better signals and maybe pick up more AP but it did ok I though without the building.

WiFi in Phoenix Arizona

Driving around in the "Valley of the Sun" I almost always keep my WiFi sniffer running. Some call this hobby/sport "white-hat war-driving"; "war-driving" (I'm not sure of the origin of that appelation), and "white-hat" (I'm a nice guy and am not interested in hacking into someone else's computers). It's been an interesting way for me to gauge the general acceptance of WiFi by Phoenicians and to get some interesting statistics on range and performance.

In order to get a consistent measure of the 2.4 GHz 802.11b WiFi adoptance rate, I drive a canonical route at least once a month, winding through a multiplicity of neighborhoods from lower-, middle- and upper-class residential, to industrial, entertainment (hotel, restaurant, etc.). The route is about 47 miles in length, I can easily hear 100 meters either side of the route. The computer listens to the 11 channels in the unlicensed, 2.4GHz spectrum, and if someone's WiFi access point beacons out its SSID (Service Set IDentification) during the time I'm in range, the NetStumbler software logs that beacon transmission. It is possible to set up most APs to not beacon, but most people don't. ;D

Think it a hobby for me to learn more about wireless. Would actually like to be able to log on to the internet but not into the hacking and accessing anybody files, not interested. It no different from using the services for toshiba or the wireless service provided in Borders, Starbucks or even on my own home network which granted the WEP is enabled. Just inmy neighbourhood alone I have about 20 AP off which 5 are WEP enabled. Have tried to access the internet with my PDA though. Just learnt from toshiba that because I am running a Wireless G network my PDA will not be ale to access it as the speed is tow fast and not compatible 54g versus 11g of the older routers. Oh well some day we will catch up.

so turbo what kinda pda do you have? Maybe you could make your post about your pda at this thread http://www.techjamaica.com/tech_foru...id=47;start=90