Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: )(WarDriving 2003

Default Re:)(WarDriving 2003

[quote author=igodit link=board=26;threadid=1611;start=30#msg21057 date=1066852831]
    Companies do spend money on security here, why do you think checkpoint dealers are out here so much?
    [/quote]

I'm sure some local companies make dealers very happy with sales. The questions are whether enough money is being spent on security efforts considering the value of the company's assets which are at risk and whether spending money on security products is enough to make them secure. We need to be aware of the distinction between buying a product and buying into security. There's a lot more to security than buying a product.

To answer your question as to why they spend so much money and not secure their wireless network, it could be because:

1. They are simply not aware of the risks and precautions to take.
    2. They believe that the benefit of having the wireless LAN (convenience) outweighs the
    risks and the cost of putting in the precautions (proper design and power configuration,
    turning on WEP and managing WEP keys, turn off broadcasting the SSID etc.) is too
    costly (time, brainwork).
    3. They feel that nobody out there is smart enough to exploit any weaknesses they
    overlook or ignore.

Unfortunately, there is still a contingent of IT people out there who close the manual (if they open it) after figuring out how to make the pretty lights flash and get the things working performing the basic functions. Security is often an afterthought. :-\

igodit Guest

That is true for a lot of small companies, I know for a fact of two companies who have actuall spent time to secure their wirless network the other is currently working on it and has not yet broadcasted their wifi signal.

So it's a matter of those who know and those who don't.
    I'm still learning about wireless security as it is, so I'm not guru on the topic.

[quote author=BlackCryptoKnight link=board=26;threadid=1611;start=30#msg21060 date=1066855111]

1. They are simply not aware of the risks and precautions to take.[/quote]

That is so true, only the companies who truly adapt this technology after much research and deployment tend to consider the pros and the cons.

2. They believe that the benefit of having the wireless LAN (convenience) outweighs the risks and the cost of putting in the precautions (proper design and power configuration, turning on WEP and managing WEP keys, turn off broadcasting the SSID etc.) is too
    costly (time, brainwork).

3. They feel that nobody out there is smart enough to exploit any weaknesses they
    overlook or ignore.
    My points exactly and that is stupid if you ask me. It even happens here in America too so Jamaica is not the only ones who lack the discernment. Many of the security measures and precautions can be easily done from the root level and just these few simple steps could deter unscrupilous persons.

In the last six to 12 months, cutting-edge and adventurous companies have begun to build office "hotspots" -- areas where you can tune in your mobile device at work and log on to the Web and the server. Yet its popularity to-date varies considerably by industry sector. It depends on how much interaction and mobility you need in the office, in finance and the media industry it can be very important.

Initiallly their were security concerns regarding Wi-Fi technology in the office space. Yet vendors have now been able to secure the mobile networks using sophisticated encryption devices and software protection.