Thread: DSL Router/win 95

Default DSL Router/win 95

Here's a problem I ran into and a quick fix solution that seems to be working at the moment. Hope this helps anyone that may run into the same issue.

I was having a problem with some win 95 machines in my office. They seemed incompatible with the dsl modem we have sitting here as our dhcp server. Every now and again (more now than again) the machine would release it's IP and basically would not communicate with the modem in any way. It wasn't a problem with the network card, the machine was still visible on the domain, it would just stop talking to the modem completely.

I tried a fix a few days ago, instead of having the machine get an IP, I disabled DHCP on that machine and assigned a permanent lease to the mac address. It's been working ever since. I'll keep you posted.

Default Re:DSL Router/win 95

This info may really come in handy in the future. Keep us posted on the outcome.

That solution will also work if you have a computer that repeatedly drops its IP .. have seen it happen on occasions. Giving the client a Static IP always does the trick. Of course I always reserve a range of addresses on DHCP server just for that purposes. ;D

Is this peculiar to Win 95 only or has it happened to other versions?

Well, It only happens on win95 machines here.

[quote author=chris link=board=1;threadid=155;start=0#931 date=1032839410]
    Is this peculiar to Win 95 only or has it happened to other versions?
    [/quote]

I have seen Win98 machines behave simialarly, can't recall Win2K doing it off hand.