Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASP Problem 01

Yeah, I like to see different ways of solving problems. Sometimes it not always obvious to see things in a different light even if its actually the same way but with a different flava.

I follow your idea still, but unfortunately that is a bit too far out the box because the flash has to send the image to a reciever and not just merely display the image, if I follow correct.

The problem really was not specified properly. I should have given an exact description of the messages and formats that define the service.

That's a good new answer still, respects.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

There should be two components
    1) the service
    ---recieves the equation
    ---sends the image

2) the consumer
    ---sends the equation
    ---recieves the imqge
    ---displays the image

the messages were undefined and can be properly defined with an xml schema. That defines the allowed tags in the xml message, and data types, and structure of the tags.

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire
    I follow your idea still, but unfortunately that is a bit too far out the box because the flash has to send the image to a reciever and not just merely display the image, if I follow correct.
    I am not sure if I understand what you mean by receiver exactly, but if I do, I think you are mistaken. An swf behaves like an image. It has absolutly no server-side component. Forgetting all the exact formating for referencing the swf file. The file would be addressed like...

Code:
    ...src="../pi_colourpicker.swf?Colour=<%=Colour%>"...
    not only that but useing client-side javascript you can then manipulate the swf like I did here....

Code:
    form1.Colour2.value = form1.CustColour2.value & 0xFFFFFF;
    pi_colourpicker2Obj.SetVariable("_level0:Colour", form1.Colour2.value);
    pi_colourpicker2Obj.TPlay("_level0");	

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad
    I am not sure if I understand what you mean by receiver exactly
    The web serviced should be hosted on one computer and be accessible over the internet via http request/response, xmlhttp request/response or even by mail protocol. For example, someone sends a message to the address of the host service. The sent message contains an xml document like
    Code:
    <numerator>5</numerator>
    <denominator>7</denominator>
    The host of the service then sends back a message like
    Code:
    <pictureResponse>ahlghhgayerguiwehjkk</pictureResponse>
    The returned message must be in xml form. At the time of posting this question I did not know that, and I did not specify that condition. Since the returned messege is really an xml stream over whatever protocol, then the data in the xml stream must be strictly text, so the picture is encoded from a binary format to a text format using possibly base64 encoding.

The computer that recieves the xml format of the picture is usually at a different location on the internet, and it is the consumer of the service. In this case, this computer also hosts a web site, but it does not provide any xml services. A user can use this web site, for example, he browses a web page on the site where he can enter the equation. The web site then sends his numbers via xml to the host service and recieves a response xml with the picture. The receiving website then relays the picture from the xml stream to the browsing user.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad
    Code:
    ...src="../pi_colourpicker.swf?Colour=<%=Colour%>"...
    What I understand from this is that you can set parameters for the swf application. This is a brilliant way to acheive the web service. You are right in so because you achieved the purpose of providing the service. The caveat is that a web service by itself must be xml messages while providing a service on the web is just providing a service.

Why can you not use an interactive object. I could see if it was dependant on the server technology, but I can not see any other reason except maybe to make it usable by 99.9% (ones that can view images) of viewers instead of 98% (ones that can use flash 5).

Anyway since I do not think I can help I will say no more, but I would like to understand the solution so I would appreciate if you put up an working example somewhere if you have that ability.

You can use an interactive object for a web service

You can not use an interactive object for an xml web service, but this problem specifies a web service so the flash is allowed, OK. Full credits are due to u and apologies.

I will do my solution, however, using xml web service, via ASP.Net and C#.

XML web service can be done in virtually every languages and platforms. It is not confined to ASP.Net or C#. It is basically a means of communicating objects and instructions in a very well defined way.

My solution will have the two components and the communication feature of xml will be exploited.

If I were to do only one component then I would not have to communicate anything, and I would not need any help from xml web service.

The problem is not dependent on server technology and anybody with a browser is the ultimate client of the web service, whether the web service is implemented with 1 component or 10 components. Once more than 1 components are used, the implementation can thus use more xml comunications. For example, suppose a third component was used that took in the image and scaled it to twice size, and that component was at a very distance location on the internet. The new component could easily be used by the displaying web page, while the new component pull images from the previous compnent. It is just in the implementation, and not in the resulting service.

Furthermore, both single component and multi-components handle features like charging fees in the same way. Another feature is hiding source. However, these features are more of server abilities and it is a matter of what is being the server, eg. a flash object could send billing information and display the image so the flash object would be acting like a proxy server. Again there is no difference in service, just that the implementation for multiple components might be done easier in xml web service, just hope that I am right about the flash object as I do not know flash.