Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: RPC Shutdown

Default Re:RPC Shutdown

LINUX is good for you.

thanks for the help igotit

I AM OFFICIALLY THE VILLAGE IDIOT!!!

I ook the care of setting up ALL the work machines and forgot that I had a windies box at home!!! - that my MOM uses!!! aaaarrggh...

so now of coursingly I have to go use the Mac to go to windows website ad dl the ptaches ... it's now been tainted by windology.. :'( ...

anyway.. thought I'd let y'all know whart alerted me to it.. installed the trial version of Zone Alarm Pro tonite.. then as soon as it started running.. popup asking if I want to allow mblast.exe to access the internet comes up... of course i say no

next popup.. if i want to allow services to recieve data... nopes again... finally i decide .. lemme try suppm.. try updating AVG Antivirus.. couldn't do it

tried visiting microsoft's page... couldn't do it

tried visiting symantec, mcaffee .. anything having to do with links to the fies would not come UP.. even came back to techj and tried clicking the links to the post.. usually a new window would open..NADA!!

they've gone to some lengths with this boyz.... ahh..yes.. the joys of windows ;D

As a follow up to my previous post about FTP transfer issues with this new bug, it seems that opening up your favourite FTP program to ALL TCP and UDP ports on your system alleviates the problem. A temporary fix at least, and one that I wouldn't recommend usually, but drastic times call for drastic measures.

This is easily configured in any firewall program (Zone Alarm is used on my system...)

Has anyone experienced this problem though?

igodit Guest

Worm hits over 100,000 Windows computers
    The worm that hit the internet yesterday infected over 100,000 windows computers, luckily you visit tech jamaica site daily and you patched your system weeks ago, some of you that is. Others were not so lucky. So still spread the word to patch, the Blaster worm is a rather kind worm, another worm might be on the way making use of same open door and do more nasty stuff.

MAKE THAT 100,004 !!!. I think my network is infected, I cant copy windows update site does'nt work!! cant update Norton...I downloaded the patch and fix from synaptec !!!so far 4 out of 6 are doing this!! patch says it was installed correctly, and the other says that it does not see the worm onm any of the PCs

kilaj1, please turn off your windows update service.

it may sound like contrary advice but hear me.

you are running a web cafe. you dont need the auto updater logging on when a customer is using the line. it kills the bandwidth.

do the updates manually as you go along after hours. you dont even need to grab every update. just keep your eye on the security updates section to look out for any warnings etc.

check each hotfix they release on a single computer to ensure it doesnt bugger it up. some of them causes more problems than it fixes.
    just my way of doing things but i hope this helps. 8)

actually I do run them manually, but I've bin told that a symptom of the blaster worm is that it does'nt allow you to copy files, same goes for the coping of links, as I have tried coping likes from this site for the patch. This only happens on 4 of my PCs.

okay just got some information on how to remove it from win2kpro, had to be in safe mode, will try this and tell u people later.

I must say that i'm surprise that people who should know better are actually online without a firewall.