Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Killed Apple Computer?

Default Who Killed Apple Computer?

In a weblog sponsored by the Apple Computer History website, a former Apple marketing director admits that he, assisted by everyone who worked at Apple with him, "killed" the company. He cites a culture of "individual brilliance and group stupidity."

But I think we should not lose sight of the fact that Apple Computer as a whole was a massive failure. Our fundamental goal, if you remember, was to transform the world by setting people free from bad computer design and stifling corporate dictates. "The Computer for the Rest of Us," we promised.
    Yet no one takes responsibility for what happened. In fact, most of the people who were at Apple claim passionately that the company's collapse wasn't their fault. Some have written whole books to prove that they had no blame for what happened.
    What went wrong?

Those of us who were managers often failed to insist that our teams work together. Instead of integrating them to cooperate toward a goal, we settled into walled fortresses, protecting our projects and budgets from attack by others. Ideas and initiatives from the outside were rejected as vigorously as your body's immune system rejects a germ.
    Does this mean that Apple is dead and gone?? Far from it!!

Apple changed the world, and not in a little way," Armstrong writes. "In this sense, Apple hasn't failed."
    http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,60407,00.html

Default Re:Who Killed Apple Computer?

I tend to agree with the premise that Apple Computer
    has made a significant contribution to the twentieth
    century.......Aaahh but therein lies the rub.....In going
    the proprietary route Apple has failed in implementing
    the ideals of it's embryonic years.

Apple's goal to bring computing to the average Joe at an affordable price has largely gone the way of Velociraptor.
    With the "PC" dominating more than ninety percent of
    the consumer market, Apple has been relegated to
    the realm of diehard supporters, movie
    conglomerates, and the "upper classes".

Who killed Apple Computer? ....... ???Hmmmm
    maybe we should ask Steve Jobs, he is supposed to
    be the "Marketing Genius" to Steve Wozniak's
    Technical Genius.

ah yes.. you know I can't help but get involved in a discussion where Apple is concerned.

Admittedly has made some grave mistakes.. and just like a governor running for office .. expect more and more bad mistake writings to surface...

what I think I would look at is who/what has REVIVED Apple ... and the fact that their GREAT tech is actually becoming cheaper! Just yesterday the 17" powerbook DROPPED $300...

Face it... there were some mistakes.. which eventually drove prices up and market share down.. however some VERY good decisions and marketing is now taking place... reversing that process.. driving prices down and market share UP.. and just as they were knocked down over a period of YEARS, expect them to GROW.. even more quickly!

GK, I seriously doubt the Apple is going to grow much further than where it is. As Saint has accurately said, they made some fatal mistakes in their embryonic stage. Steve Jobs' greed turned the market against him (the same thing is happening to Bill Gates today). If he had licensed out his software like Bill did, he would have become a serious contender. It looks so bad that Bill had to come to their rescue to save the company from bankruptcy.

They have such a damn good product. Now this generation of superior Apple software and hardware has to suffer the pain of neglect that was caused by its forefathers. Linux is fast overtaking the PC world. I don't think the Mac will ever contend with that. It's too late now.

Poor apple.....
    I always wanted to get myself a Mac, I mean... they still the best when it comes to power-in-a-box.
    Cant though, pocket is biased toward my good old PC. :

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=5;threadid=1803;start=0#msg17991 date=1063744955]
    GK, I seriously doubt the Apple is going to grow much further than where it is. As Saint has accurately said, they made some fatal mistakes in their embryonic stage. Steve Jobs' greed turned the market against him (the same thing is happening to Bill Gates today). If he had licensed out his software like Bill did, he would have become a serious contender. It looks so bad that Bill had to come to their rescue to save the company from bankruptcy.
    [/quote]

Ah, ye of little faith ;D

In the words of Bob Marley "Time alone! Oh time will tell"

Mac OS X is a very good OS. And graphics on a Mac are clean and crisp. I give Apple credit for that. The hardware is decent however the prices are still too high for mainstream buyers. This compared to the fact that the Mac software set is not as big as those of Microsoft and Linux. With OS X being "Unix with a tough GUI" it would be great if we could run many, if not most of, the Linux apps out there on a Mac. I think price is the main deterrent followed by software availability.

Funny enough, Apple will come back...

After all micraasaaaaf already giving PC a bad name.....

Look at all the other things thats happening PC wise.....

I think time will tell too.

All in due time.

Then again.... LINUX may hold up PC's....

;D ;D ;D

I think it is good to remeber that PC <> Mac.
    The main barrier to Mac "coming back" is the price of the hardware.
    Software can always be developed by users... but the hardware.... geez