Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: major warning!!! web attack in progress

Default major warning!!! web attack in progress

ok, if you get a email from MS. then hit delete straight away. i mean it!

i know several ppl brought down aready and its a complete format jobby. its deleting the microsoft patches very fast and MS site is currently overloaded. they cant patch fast enough.
    watch yourselves on the web. do not go up without your firewalls set to high.

here is a link which has at least one MS support guy up explaining whats going on. its a gaming site and some of the language is a bit crass or has expletives. watch your sensibilities but you do need to see the wrath of this thing k. seems the rpc bomb has gone off. look for port activity and lock down k.

http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/072040.html

DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS ON THE SITE. JUST READ AND THEN CLOSE THE SITE.
    you have been warned guys.

Default Re:major warning!!! web attack in progress

Quote from site:

I gave up and installed redhat.. much easier
    I'm sure Matronyx will have a field day with this.

Another quote:

Christ, my firewall has dropped about 100 port 135 requests in the last few minutes.
    It's always either that port or port 137 for me. These guys have been VERY busy. I sure hope to god you folks aren't surfing without a firewall. The internet just got ridiculously dangerous!

Yep I work in web hosting support and trust me this thing is causing all sorts of problems. Norton's firewall works well against this worm. I'm not a big fan of updates from bill and his friends but the patch they have is working so far. Windows built with faults

W32.Blaster.Worm is a worm that will exploit the DCOM RPC vulnerability(described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026) using TCP port 135. It will attempt to download and run a file, msblast.exe.

User's should block access to TCP port 4444 at the firewall level. User's should also block the following ports, if they do not use applicaitons listed:

TCP Port 135, "DCOM RPC"
    UDP Port 69, "TFTP"

more info
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ster.worm.html

Our whole network is currently flooded with W32Blaster aka Lovran virus. Talk about working overtime tonight >

In addition to getting the latest updates from McAfee,
    we had to patch all the W2k machines here with the RPC patch from M$....
    read about it and get links to the various patches for this vulnerabilty here:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...tent/8205.html

Of course, my bredrens and I just shook our heads and smiled when everyone around us started screaming in chaos, we are running linux ;D

But....still, It's amazing the rate at which virus is being released nowadays.

i think i need a firewall ....which one should i get????

Well....I am going home now....body is tired, updated 100+ machines and need rest.... D@MN VIRUS!!!

get sygate firewall at
    www.sygate.com

apparently, this is a test run for the 16th. this run is for gaining comps (using trojans) for use in some kinda joint effort on that day.

my isp went quiet yesterday for sure. dont know how long surfing ability died, i took my machines off line once i got told.

i'll let ya know if any more warnings come again but remember to act fast k. best to lock off the ports to the net completley. i mean physically. they may be saving their best for the day.

[quote author=pheonix link=board=1;threadid=1531;start=0#msg14532 date=1060668345]
    i think i need a firewall ....which one should i get????
    [/quote]
    LINUX

any distro....

and if you need windows apps, get Crossover office
    http://www.codeweavers.com
    as for games... there is an api lib for them... but i do not remember the name...

Come on people... emancipate yourselves...

--regards
    Gillion

s**t..

Last nite my machine asked me to shutdown like there was no tommorow... giving me some message 'bout "rpc had a critical error and windows needed to restart"

any a you think this is related...

i just run an abort (shutdown -a) and ignore it :-\