Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qmail compliation & Installation

Default Qmail compliation & Installation

I am trying to install QMAIL. Gotten through most of it, however when I try to run the qmailctl I get this message

: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I have gone through the script to ensure that all the files and directory being referenced exist.

What could be my problem?

I am using The qmail bible is "Life with qmail" by Dave Sill.

located at:
    http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/lwq.html

I am at section 2.8.2. System start-up files.

Default Re:Qmail compliation & Installation

Sorry I didn't see your post before. I will have a look and get back to you.

I got from reading some of your posts that you are extremely busy. So I understand.

What distro are you using?

How did you create the scripts? Which tool did you use?

Check back and make sure that you have created all the symbolic links.

Note that some directories need to be owned by one of the qmail user accounts such as qmaill. Use "ls -l" to double check them.

Backup your qmailctl file. Delete everything except the start commands.

Run the commands one by one until you find out which one generates the error message.

Is svscan running? I assume that you have loaded all three applications in the correct directories using the correct commands.

Let's start with these. If the problem persists we will try some other stuff. Hopefully your stripped down qmailctl will identify the directory in question.

[quote author=jamrock link=board=8;threadid=1526;start=0#msg14923 date=1060884337]
    What distro are you using?[/quote]

Redhat 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14
    [quote author=jamrock link=board=8;threadid=1526;start=0#msg14923 date=1060884337]
    How did you create the scripts? Which tool did you use?
    [/quote]

I typed the shorter ones, however I downloaded the qmailctl
    Check back and make sure that you have created all the symbolic links.[/quote]

I have done this, as well as have another person double check
    Note that some directories need to be owned by one of the qmail user accounts such as qmaill. Use "ls -l" to double check them.[/quote]

All the directories I have checked are owned by one of the qmail users.

Is svscan running? I assume that you have loaded all three applications in the correct directories using the correct commands.[/quote]

Yes svscan is runing. There are two processes running:
    /bin/sh /command/svscanboot
    svscan /service

Backup your qmailctl file. Delete everything except the start commands.
    The qmailctl file which I had downlaoded was in dos format. That was the problem.

I have Qmail working now, however I cannot seem to get SMTP running. Section 4.2.1 speaks about SMTP but cannot connect to it neither do I see it listening when I run [b]netstat -a|grep smtp[b].

Is it that it is not necessary, if so how does a MUA sends mail to qmail?

Section 4.2.1 speaks about SMTP but cannot connect to it neither do I see it listening when I run [b]netstat -a|grep smtp[b].
    I have never checked to see if SMTP is running. I have done the test that the documentation recommends. I checked to see how long the services have been running. The command is qmailctl stat. Once the services have been running for longer than 1 second, you should be okay.

Remember that you will need to re-install qmail at a later date in order to use it with LDAP. You may want to wait a while before putting your qmail server into production. Once you have it in production, you will find it difficult to make the necessary changes.

I have Qmail working now
    What have you done with it so far?

I am just getting myself familar with installation Qmail. I am working with the initial plan we had to setup LDAP for both directory services as well as authentication and then to integrate that with QMAIL.

How do users send mail from outlook if SMTP is not running? I ahve done the checks according to the documentation using qmailctl stat and all the services have been up for 1 second or more.

So far, I have install QMAIL and have the services running, I am just looking at the configuration at the moment. I have done everything according to Life with Qmail. I am currently trying to understand section 3 - Configuration.

Unable to connect to the server. (Account: '192.168.17.15' SMTP Server: '192.168.17.15', Error Number: 0x800ccc0e).

ahve done the checks according to the documentation using qmailctl stat and all the services have been up for 1 second or more.
    Great. That is a major step completed. It is a lot easier going from this point.

Unable to connect to the server. (Account: '192.168.17.15' SMTP Server: '192.168.17.15', Error Number: 0x800ccc0e).
    Double check if you followed the instructions in section 2.8.2.3. entitled "SMTP Access Control".

I am not familiar with that error message.

Check the qmail log for clues. The log is
    /var/log/qmail/current.

You can use the tail command. The command to show the last 20 lines of a file is

tail -20 /var/log/qmail/current.

You can also use tail without specifying the amount of lines to be shown.
    Let me know what you find.