Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

20. Is there a limit on how many smilie faces I can make in a post?
    Yes there is. You are allowed a maximum of 5 images in your post. This includes the smilies.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

21. Can I use strike-through in my posts? If so, how?
    Yes, you can use strike-through in your posts.
    Strike-through draws a line through your text. For example: this is an example.
    See the following page on how to use this feature: vB Code List

22. Can I lock/unlock my own thread? If so, how?
    Yes, you can lock/unlock your own thread. While viewing your thread, click the Thread Tools link at the top of the thread. You will be shown some options. One of them will be Close Thread (if your thread is open) or Open Thread (if your thread is closed). Select this option and click the "Perform Action" button.

Another way of closing your thread would be when you are replying to your thread. On the Post Reply page, scroll down to the Additional Options section. There you will see the check box option Close this thread after you submit your message. Check this option then submit your reply. Your thread will be closed.

23. My Post Reply text box has no formating options or smilies that I can enter into my post. How come?
    If you registered before August 2004, your message editor will be a basic text box with no formating options or easy access to smilie tags. If you registered after August 2004, your default message editor would include the formating options along with the smilies.

If you're missing these message options on your Post Reply text box, go to your User CP --> Edit Options. At the very end will be the Message Editor Interface option. Select Standard Editor - Extra formating controls option and Save your changes.

24. Is there an RSS feed available for the forums?
    Yes. The feeds are currently provided in two formats, RSS and RSS v2. The differences are as follows:

More information can be found here: http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/fa...ss_syndication
    More info about what an RSS feed is can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29

25. The time stamps on my posts are incorrect. How do I fix this?
    Go to your Control Panel. Click Edit Options in the menu on the left. Scroll down to the Date & Time Options. Here you can change your time settings.

If you're in Jamaica, select (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada), Bogota, Lima for your time zone. Make sure DST correction is set to Off.

Save changes.

26. Why is my Skype status icon always grey, even when I am online?
    Skype has introduced a new feature that allows you to display your Skype on-line status pn web sites and forums. But it is disabled by default.

To enable this feature, in Skype, select "Tools" from the menu. Then choose "Options". Under the Privacy settings, check the option to "Allow my status to be shown on the web".

Your Skype icon will reflect your Skype on-line status from now on.

27. Why can't I make a reply in the Classifieds anymore?
    As of May 11, 2006, the option to post a reply in the Classifieds has been removed. This was done to help restore some order to the Classifieds Section.

Please see the following Announcement: http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25458

If there are any questions in regards to this change, please contact a moderator.
    http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showgroups.php

28. Why are my posts being merged?
    Making multiple posts within a short time span, in any thread, is considered double posting. Many members will do this to increase their post count more quickly and this is frowned upon here at Tech Jamaica. If a moderator sees a member double posting, their replies will be merged and a note left.

There are legitimate reasons to make a double post in a thread, such as to break up a very long post, or posts containing very large images. In such cases, the posts will be allowed.

We advise that members use the Edit Post button on their previous post, if they need to add something more to the thread.

Or you can use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than 1 post. Just click the multi-quote button on each post that you want to reply to, then when you are ready, click the Reply to Thread button. Your post will contain all the posts you quoted and ready for you to reply to them.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Feb 19, 2014 at 07:59 AM.

29. Why can't I create a new thread in the Classifieds?
    Effective May 1, 2008, there will be changes to posting abilities in the classifieds section. In addition to the previously instituted rules, the new requirements are as follows.

Members must have a post count of at least 150 posts AND have been registered for at least 30 days before they are able to post in the Classifieds section.

This change is required to reduce the numerous instances of unscrupulous classified postings and to eliminate the occurances of persons registering solely for the purpose of posting classified ads. This measure will also seek to reward active members who contribute to the community's content.

Members who don't meet the criteria but are desirous of posting a classified ad may pay a fee for this service. Please contact the admin for details.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com