Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows worms knocking out computers

Still waiting to see the onslaughts that would be unleashed against Vista. I want to see M$ attempt at improving security.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Still waiting to see the onslaughts that would be unleashed against Vista. I want to see M$ attempt at improving security.
    How would this financially or emotionally benefit you?
    Be what's next!

Quote Originally Posted by rodalembs
    Bredren I think you missing the point of this whole thread..
    How did I miss the point of this thread? I was just being twisted by showing how happy this new worm made me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodalembs
    We need to realizes that worms/trojans are can cause significant down time and effort and ultimately affects the companies bottom line. This is a more disconcerting issue the M$ vs. other OS's. Even when you think of BNS being hit, what impact does that have upon me /you performing transactions. Lets focus on how prepared are companies to respond to Risks like these.
    People often realize that after a worm hits their organization. They then realize again a few months
    later when the next worm hits them.
    Last edited by pogi_2nr; Aug 17, 2005 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zandex
    How would this financially or emotionally benefit you?
    nothing financial or emotional around here.. Just want to see how those brilliant guys at microsoft going to handle the common assault and battery on thier OS. Come to think of it I may be able to cash in on my Linux experience .
    Last edited by leoandru; Aug 17, 2005 at 04:19 PM.

It appears that some people can't or won't understand that virus/worm writers attack windoze not because it is the most widely used OS, but because M$ resorts to 'unfair' practices to keep it that way (check the number of antitrust suits if you doubt me nuh).

If M$ would live and let live, they wolud have less problems. Therefore, I don't believe that Opera, Firefox, etc will suffer the same attacks as M$IE unless their creators go the M$ route. (unless of course M$ starts creating worms/viruses to attack the competition - LOL)

Now, lets say, just for argument, that, oh...maybe.... M$ sanctions these new worms/viruses in order to force users to upgrade/update their OS and to put pressure on those poor souls who use (cough) (e)ligitimate copies of windoze.

Think about it.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

what now... conspiracies ?

scarrrryy
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by zandex
    W32.Zotob.E can run on, but not infect, computers running Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/XP. Although computers running these operating systems cannot be infected, they can still be used to infect vulnerable computers that they can connect to.

Symantec Removal tool...http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Cant get into the Pc to run that tool
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I wonder if the removal tool is both DOS and windows based cause that would seem like your solution. Good old boot disk.

True words.

It's not just the laptops that introduce risk. It's also the remote access via dialup and VPN. Companies don't always have control over the machines that connect to them via remote access and so viruses spread that way too.

Plenty to think about.
    Definitely. What about all of those home-based workers who dial in? How do you ensure that their son/daughter didn't go to some kind of site to download something?

How can you have control of those machines?

If your using Windows 2000 you will notice that in c:\winnt\system32\
    a file called Wintbp.exe, thats one of the culprits