Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows worms knocking out computers

"What effect do the worms have?

The worms do not damage data, but can slow computer performance. Infected Windows 2000 computers are exposed to subsequent, more malicious attacks, while infected Windows XP computers can only spread the worm.

Which computers are vulnerable?

All computers running Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (without Service Pack 2) are vulnerable."

Is there a fix, im trying to fix,pc keep rebooting, not getting into windows, even when i put the HD in another machine as the slave that pc does not boot.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

W32.Zotob.E can run on, but not infect, computers running Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/XP. Although computers running these operating systems cannot be infected, they can still be used to infect vulnerable computers that they can connect to.

Symantec Removal tool...http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
    Be what's next!

lol, it brings my heart great joy to see windows worms run wild.

Pogio

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    One report I read stated that companies were still testing the patch. The time between the patch and the exploit was small so many were not able to deploy.
    This is very true.

I'm hearing that BNS has been hit by it.

This is very true.

I'm hearing that BNS has been hit by it.
    People often think that these worms are spread by the internet. This is not always the case.

Typically, an organization like BNS would have properly configured firewalls. A worm would not normally pass the firewall unless it runs on a port used by another application.

Organizations with a lot of laptops are at risk. Managers and travelling officers take their machines home and surf. They visit customers and plug their machines into the network in order to print.

If they do not have adequate personal firewalls like Zone Alarm and the others they can get infected. They then return to the office with the infected machines. The rest, as they say, is history.

I quess we just have to place a personal firewall on every machine.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    lol, it brings my heart great joy to see windows worms run wild.

Pogio
    Bredren I think you missing the point of this whole thread.. We need to realizes that worms/trojans are can cause significant down time and effort and ultimately affects the companies bottom line. This is a more disconcerting issue the M$ vs. other OS's. Even when you think of BNS being hit, what impact does that have upon me /you performing transactions. Lets focus on how prepared are companies to respond to Risks like these.
    Heroes to Mentors -

I suspect that virus coders will become mroe sophisticated and more lethal since they are being forced to become better at their art. Its evolution... and the sad part is that it will out pace or proably overpower Micrsoft eventually... especially if it is a terrorist effort.

the world needs diversity in its comuting genetic pool in order to survive with miniaml downtime... one sofware company cannot dominate and it must not be allowed to dominate the world of computers because it means... ONE MAN can cripple the world.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Aug 18, 2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Microsoft’s investigation into this malicious act is ongoing so that we can continue to understand how we can help support customers. We are working closely with our anti-virus partners and aiding law enforcement in its investigation.

Our investigation of these attacks has verified that they do not affect customers who have installed the updates detailed in MS05-039 on their computers. Microsoft continues to recommend that customers apply the updates to the affected products by enabling the Automatic Updates feature in Windows.

Microsoft is disappointed that certain security researchers have breached the commonly accepted industry practice of withholding vulnerability data so close to update release and have published exploit code, potentially harming computer users.

We continue to urge security researchers to disclose vulnerability information responsibly and allow customers time to deploy updates so they do not aid criminals in their attempt to take advantage of software vulnerabilities.
    Be what's next!

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    Organizations with a lot of laptops are at risk. Managers and travelling officers take their machines home and surf. They visit customers and plug their machines into the network in order to print.

If they do not have adequate personal firewalls like Zone Alarm and the others they can get infected. They then return to the office with the infected machines. The rest, as they say, is history.

I quess we just have to place a personal firewall on every machine.
    True words.

It's not just the laptops that introduce risk. It's also the remote access via dialup and VPN. Companies don't always have control over the machines that connect to them via remote access and so viruses spread that way too.

Plenty to think about.