Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows worms knocking out computers

Default Windows worms knocking out computers

Computers across the United States are being hit, including those at cable news station CNN, television network ABC and The New York Times. Tokyo-based antivirus company Trend Micro blames the havoc on various worms, including the Zotob worm that hit the Internet over the weekend and new variants of the Rbot worm.

Read more: http://news.com.com/Windows+worms+kn...3-5835530.html
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I didn't know that those large organizations, CNN and so on actually use microsoft windows being that it is so susceptible to attacks from all kinds a variants. The attacks will never stop, there is always a vulnerbility to exploit.

what did you think they used? and what would you recommend as a suitable alternative?
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Let me tell you something.. its the process of change that makes most organization stick with windows. Its much easier to cope with these usual onslaughts rather that switch to a new OS.. I know couple organization in JA that has shown deep interst in Linux but in truth and fact they are afraid to make the big leap!!

I really have to laugh when I hear these things... It seems that security in windows is not getting any better, or is it that the virus writers are finder better ways of compromising the systems?
    Last edited by leoandru; Aug 17, 2005 at 12:33 AM.

This is a public affairs nightmare for Microsoft.

Since yesterday, CNN has been showing their computers restarting. They have been showing a clip with an I.T. guy looking stressed as he tried to fix a workstation.

They have been interviewing computer experts also. People like Kevin Mitnick have been on talking about worms and trojans, etc.

This one is sure to get widespread media attention since it has affected the American media houses.

These issues encourage IT managers to implement Linux and Tiger where they can. Can you move a mail server over to Linux where it is less vulnerable? What about a file server that is used to store valuable data? I.T. managers must be asking these questions today.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Let me tell you something.. its the process of change that makes most organization stick with windows. Its much easier to cope with these usual onslaughts rather that switch to a new OS.. I know couple organization in JA that has shown deep interst in Linux but in truth and fact they are afraid to make the big leap!!

I really have to laugh when I hear these things... It seems that security in windows is not getting any better, or is it that the virus writers are finder better ways of compromising the systems?
    I decided that I did not want to comment on this one..However since its really critical to several companies then I will...

This worm only affects Windows 2000 O/S not...Windows XP or any other newer versions....So I am surprise at your question about getting better...

Microsoft had an update posted prior to the worm release on the Internet...So I guess these companies were not quick enough to update their systems..Which I can be a big challenge at times.

Patch management should become mandatory within these companies using solutions such as WSUS and SMS.

Again the fight will continue...
    Last edited by zandex; Aug 17, 2005 at 08:03 AM.
    Be what's next!

Zandex it affects WinXP , i know a XP machine that was hit by it
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

This worm only affects Windows 2000 O/S not...Windows XP or any other newer versions....So I am surprise at your question about getting better...
    The big issue is that Windows 2000 is still so widely used. Some argue that Windows is becoming a mature product. It provides enough value to users so they do not see the need to upgrade.

There were substantial improvements between Windows 9x and Windows 2000. There are not enough functional improvements between Windows 2000 and XP to justify the move.

Microsoft is still having a hard time moving many customers from Windows NT to Windows 200x on the server.

Microsoft had an update posted prior to the worm release on the Internet...So I guess these companies were not quick enough to update their systems..Which I can be a big challenge at times.

Patch management should become mandatory within these companies using solutions such as WSUS and SMS.
    One report I read stated that companies were still testing the patch. The time between the patch and the exploit was small so many were not able to deploy.

Over the years, companies have found that some patches have broken some key functionality. They have started to test patches before deploying them.

I am not knocking Microsoft on this. I know that they have been working hard to make Windows more secure. In addition, I suspect that as Linux becomes more popular, we will see similar attacks.

However, these outbreaks hurt Microsoft's credibility. The security concerns re: Internet Explorer have been a big factor in the increased popularity of Firefox. These security concerns are likely to make people look at alternative operating systems.

CNN has been hit hard. One presenter said he had a hard time preparing his reports yesterday. This bad publicity comes at a time when many IT managers are starting to think about Vista.

Zandex it affects WinXP , i know a XP machine that was hit by it
    The news reports say it affects Windows 9x, Windows 2000 and early versions of XP. I am not sure how to define an early version of XP.
    Last edited by jamrock; Aug 17, 2005 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    what did you think they used? and what would you recommend as a suitable alternative?
    Thought they would opt for Power Mac PCs which are deemed more reliable, secure and stable than windows pc.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    The news reports say it affects Windows 9x, Windows 2000 and early versions of XP. I am not sure how to define an early version of XP.
    Earlier versions of Windows xp would be those without service packs 1 or 2.
    Last edited by Aldayne; Aug 17, 2005 at 10:22 AM.

Zotob only targets Windows 2000. Customers running other versions such as Windows XP, or customers who have applied the MS05-039 update to Windows 2000 are not impacted by this attack. The current attack does not impact Windows XP.

All customers should apply the most recent security updates released by Microsoft to help ensure that their systems are protected from attempted exploitation. Customers who have enabled Automatic Updates will automatically receive all Windows updates.

This vulnerability is highly unlikely to result in a widespread internet attack. While variations of the existing attacks might be modified to utilize different vectors of attack, customers who have applied the update to their systems will not be at risk.
    Last edited by zandex; Aug 17, 2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Be what's next!