Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got ADSL. Worried about Adware. Any advise?

Default Security Paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE
    Wipe system every few months...you can't be serious.

If your a techie then you don't need to be doing that. Anyway...
    Well i am sorry zero tolerance i like my hard drive space for more useful things. I listen to half of you talk about security dis and dat and i am like.

For every security measure you guys state i can either crack myself or know someone who can crack it without breaking a sweat.

I am sorry every techie should know that it is a good practice to wipe and reload every couple of months.

All your security talk sounds like paranoia to me, i not too caring about stuff like that. Want to hack me go ahead, get a virus no big deal, you want to install spyware be my guest.

It takes me 20 minutes tops to reinstall and startup. With that said i have not had any major security issues since i have ADSL and to think i am not as security conscious as you guys. Go figure.....................
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." - Emo Philips -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Unstoppable
    Well i am sorry zero tolerance i like my hard drive space for more useful things. I listen to half of you talk about security dis and dat and i am like.

It takes me 20 minutes tops to reinstall and startup. With that said i have not had any major security issues since i have ADSL and to think i am not as security conscious as you guys. Go figure.....................
    People live what they learn....Well, I like that saying...Anyway, I dont think you have the right attitude towards these various security issues...

What if you were working for a company and one of the director asked you to assist him/her with this same ADSL situation?...I guess you would recommend your own best practices...
    Be what's next!

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy
    Huh ? IE and IE Toolbars are two different pieces of poogies. IE is the browser while IE Toolbar is a third-party attachment. Just like how there are toolbars for IE, there are toolbars for other web browsers. Don't mix the two up they are totally different.
    I personally have enjoyed many moments browsing using IE but the security factor is no secret and should not be downplayed. I do not want to get into any long debate on IE vs whatever browsers but I do feel responsible to share whatever little knowledge I have with my fellow techjamaicans. Maybe this may help who knows-I care: http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/ie.shtml

For every security measure you guys state i can either crack myself or know someone who can crack it without breaking a sweat.

I am sorry every techie should know that it is a good practice to wipe and reload every couple of months.

All your security talk sounds like paranoia to me, i not too caring about stuff like that. Want to hack me go ahead, get a virus no big deal, you want to install spyware be my guest.

If re-installing works for you then go ahead. Don't you find it annoying having to go through and backup every little tweak and setting to every program that u install and use?!?! So you spend most of the time saving these settings somewhere and then wiping the drive clean and then implementing these settings again.

I need to enjoy my computer use. After i tweak it, i document it and then good to go.

Also, its good that you posted your opinion on the ADSL security issues but to tell somebody else to jump into cleaning hd every few months or everytime them see virus like activity on their PC can't be good.

I have a business and work for a company where you can't be telling people (techie and non-techie) that is best to re-install every few months.

Have you ever fixed a computer...moved a desktop icon from 1 grid column to the next and get cussing for it??? Customers like consistency and are comfortable in their ways.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

N.B. Please note i said every few months i reload.

Well for my personal use of course i am not into security. I know how to manually remove them or how to get the information on how to. I reload not at the sign of virus but simply because it is recommended for optimal computer performance.

From a company standpoint obviously my attitude would have to be different. Let us all be realistic home security and work security is 2 different issues when i am home i don't need that stress and drama.

At work though when millions of dollars at stake measures have to be talken to avoid any threats or potentially devastating scenarios.

I was addressing that dude's paranoia, y'all need to chill. At home i relax...........

Try it.
    Last edited by Mr. Unstoppable; Aug 13, 2005 at 02:02 PM.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." - Emo Philips -

N.B. Please note i said every few months i reload.

Well for my personal use of course i am not into security. I know how to manually remove them or how to get the information on how to. I reload not at the sign of virus but simply because it is recommended for optimal computer performance.

From a company standpoint obviously my attitude would have to be different. Let us all be realistic home security and work security is 2 different issues when i am home i don't need that stress and drama.

At work though when millions of dollars at stake measures have to be talken to avoid any threats or potentially devastating scenarios.

I was addressing that dude's paranoia, y'all need to chill. At home i relax...........

Try it.
    I would love to take your approach, however I cannot. The main reason for this, both my computers @ home connects into my company LAN...So whatever security practice I do at work, comes home with me.
    Be what's next!

Also home computer = play computer = work computer = everything computer

Cam only relax once your protected.

Spyware+antivirus+firewall.

Thats why computers shouldn't come with less than 512MB (in this day and age)
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

It would seem as if i have committed the cardinal sin while my skank regard for security.

Let us agree to disagree and move on with the rest of our lives.

It would seem as if i have committed the cardinal sin while my skank regard for security.

Let us agree to disagree and move on with the rest of our lives.
    Mr. Unstoppable: These forums were created so that we can all learn from each other...If you have any valuable lessons that you would want to impart (share) to us, then I am willing to listen...However it does not make any sense that you tell us something that goes against everything ((best practices) in the IT industry...
    Be what's next!

Ok I have the perfect security solution..I have been using it for about 2 months now...and been testing it intensly....Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.0. My days of installing a firewall, antivirus, and antispyware are over....This is the total solution with daily updates... antivirus, firewall, and antispyware in one....the antivirus works great so far, its the same firewall we have come to know and trust...and the antispyware works wonderful....
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.