View Poll Results: Which is the best RAD environment for database applications?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best RAD environment for database applications

Default Re:Best RAD environment for database applications

RobyG, what's been your experience (if any) with Borland Database Engine? I'm hoping/guessing that you tinkered with it even a little bit when you started running Delphi.

I have yet to find a serious Delphi programmer who likes the BDE. For those who do not know: Borland Database Engine (BDE) is a db engine that comes with Delphi. The BDE can be directly used as a back-end (Paradox type) or can also be used to connect to third-party datasources such as Paradox, MS Access, Interbase, MsSQL - all via ODBC.

I find the BDE very cumbersome and never liked it. Soon after feeling this way I realized that most (if not all) Delphi programmers in the States use BDE replacements (other third-party db engines) instead. Although the BDE supposingly adds good multi-user and threading functionality to your db apps, you have to include BDE with your deployment (distribution) files. I prefer to use native database connection components that compile right into the exe file. I try and avoid using ODBC (which the BDE may rely on)

Interestingly enough: I know of a Building Society here in Ja that uses a Teller transaction app that uses the BDE as a connection to MS Access databases.

So my advice to Borland developers: Look for a good BDE replacement. I recommend Advantage Database Server (ADS), DBISAM or even Interbase/Firebird.

Hope this answered your question.

For a quick report or something simple VB. For INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH Delphi.

I must say that I've used both VB and Delphi(which I'm still using) and I think Dephi is better at RAD by far both for simple and for industrial strength programs. I think that VB gets alot of ratings because Microsoft's products are better marketed in the world. I especially rate delphi in its ability on compliation to produce( create ) an .exe file. I love this capablility, its make life alot easier. ;D

Delphi with ADO is the way to go.