View Poll Results: Which is the best RAD environment for database applications?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best RAD environment for database applications

Default Best RAD environment for database applications

Which is the best RAD environment for Windows-based database applications?

Default Re:Best RAD environment for database applications

Though I don't delve into the limited world of VB programming anymore, i must admit that it's the one dev. platform that has allowed me to roll out full fledged db applications with full insert, updates, deletes and browsing capabilities in a half an hour without the use of a wizard.

That's progress.

Delphi makes things easy as well. Delphi is ahead of VB in many ways.

I remember going to a MS Developers meeting some time ago and the guy from Microsoft announced the latest features of the latest Visual Basic. Everyone cheering and applauded. I simply smirked because the features where already in Delphi for years now.

Jamaicans are too tied up with Microsoft products and need to 'get out of the house a bit' <g>

For my two cents I would just like to say that I really really believe that Delphi is the bomb! It really rocks... now VB kinda rocks too (nowadays), I used to check it out, but I used to get annoyed with the VBRUN32.DLL thing. I'm assuming that is no longer an issue.

I was also thinking that I like VC++ more than VB.

( :-\ ahh man... I know somone's gonna eat me alive for that last comment. ;D)

Hey bro!!

I feel as if we are twins seperated at birth !! ;D

But hey, there is a third!...make that triplets!

Long live Delphi !!

[quote author=odsamuels link=board=10;threadid=18;start=0#812 date=1032375281]
    I was also thinking that I like VC++ more than VB.
    [/quote]

You would never compare VC++ and VB. VC++ has basic whipped in every aspect EXCEPT rapid deployment and if you're gonna give me a class, then I'm not going to re-write it.

If rapid database development is your game u got to try Visual foxpro,i know it is hardly being used but to be truthfull if u are writing a client/server app with under 50 users foxpro is usable ,accpac some versions use a VFP base.VFP 7 supports com/com+ and version 8 supports XML along with webservices so before u smirked check it out i hate it sometimes (i use Visual basic or Foxpro depending on project size) but when i have a deadline

Though is proprietary to the MAX the new Visual Studio .NET is FAST and is multiplatform... (so long as you have the .NET framework).

I must admit.. a full-fledged developer I aint... BUT after looking around.. if you want a FAST solution... Visual Studio .NET and its kin is the way to go.

overall -

Downside

points 1-5 IT'S MICROSOFT !!!!! need i say more?
    point 6 you lock yourself in to developing for mostly non-techies (who usually whole-heartedly accept MS technologies)
    point 7 HUGE learning curve if you haven't toyed with languages before and want to actually customizze how stuff works

Upside

point 1 In their effort to actually compete with DW they've integrated their versions of every popular language
    point 2 multi-platform (via the .NET framework)
    point 3 if you haven't messed with any languages before you can still get something up and running
    point 4 FAST - we built an XML app and a mobile capable web app in under 2 hours in our intro session

that's my two cents

- eyes on J'can tech

[quote author=jrcdba link=board=10;threadid=18;start=0#msg2726 date=1041971680]
    If rapid database development is your game u got to try Visual foxpro,i know it is hardly being used but to be truthfull if u are writing a client/server app with under 50 users foxpro is usable ,accpac some versions use a VFP base.VFP 7 supports com/com+ and version 8 supports XML along with webservices so before u smirked check it out i hate it sometimes (i use Visual basic or Foxpro depending on project size) but when i have a deadline
    [/quote]

I used to develop database apps in Visual FoxPro (VFP)- as a matter of fact there's a large organization still using an app I developed in 1995 for them - hadn't had any problems since day of install except one or two database corruption issues (power cuts).

VFP is fast, powerful and intuative but I have one major problem: the database can easily be corrupted. That is why alot of apps written in VFP have a routine at startup that checks if database is corrupted and if it is then fix it. :-\. That is why I have finally settled down using Delphi as front-end and Advantage Database Server (ADS) as back-end. I have written several apps for organizations using this combo and I have NEVER had a corruption issue.

Other than that, I like VFP way of doing things. Probably things have changed since I used v5.0a